Sabian rebrand

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I emailed them, using critical but professional language, indicating my embrace of the company and its products but rejecting the logo and ads. The tone was respectful and dare I say thoughtful(unlike their ad campaign). I went through four drafts before I felt like I was expressing myself without going too far. My central question was akin to "Why have you seemingly forsaken us(old guys) who helped put you on the map?"

I mentioned the logo only once. There is really no point in stomping on everything they are trying, though in all honesty I resent having to go through this.

What they say in response will have a huge effect on how I perceive the company. The vitriol from drummers online is overwhelming. If they don't have their ears to the ground and don't take some kind of action soon, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Dan

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
View attachment 391075 Are you guys ok? How many of you have cymbal set ups with zildjian A’s, maybe a orientalchina trash and then have one more cymbal with a giant
I emailed them, using critical but professional language, indicating my embrace of the company and its products but rejecting the logo and ads. The tone was respectful and dare I say thoughtful(unlike their ad campaign). I went through four drafts before I felt like I was expressing myself without going too far. My central question was akin to "Why have you seemingly forsaken us(old guys) who helped put you on the map?"

I mentioned the logo only once. There is really no point in stomping on everything they are trying, though in all honesty I resent having to go through this.

What they say in response will have a huge effect on how I perceive the company. The vitriol from drummers online is overwhelming. If they don't have their ears to the ground and don't take some kind of action soon, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Dan
Still not getting I see. :)

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Slingerland dealt with the same type "blow back" when they started advertising rock and roll drummers as endorsers in the late 1960's. Ya know...that long-haired, drug-riddled, hippie culture and all....wonder if any geezers back in those days didn't want to be associated with a brand associated with that.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a 54 year old drummer, I am still trying to figure out what I should be offended by. Which part of what they are saying excludes me?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a 54 year old drummer, I am still trying to figure out what I should be offended by. Which part of what they are saying excludes me?
Bandit....is so simple man....it's not really about being "offended"...

IT JUST SUCKS...up, down, left right, no matter how you look at it....

It. Just. "SUCKS".

No need to even discuss it or look deeply into it....it's just freakin' LAMO. From the logo to the ad copy....it ain't the bomb-IT BOMBED!

16 to 60...all the cool kids HATE IT!

Lol.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
:dontknow:
Bandit....is so simple man....it's not really about being "offended"...

IT JUST SUCKS...up, down, left right, no matter how you look at it....

It. Just. "SUCKS".

No need to even discuss it or look deeply into it....it's just freakin' LAMO. From the logo to the ad copy....it ain't the bomb-IT BOMBED!

16 to 60...all the cool kids HATE IT!

Lol.
One thing I have learned about these sites over the last 10 years is that there aren’t a lot of cool kids on them.

cplueard

Reaction score
Opted to reply again instead of editing, since I felt like coming back and putting my opinion in.

I don't care about the new ad campaign, magazines are nearly dead and I have very few reasons to visit their website so I'll likely only ever see it a few times. At this point I actually prefer the new logo compared to the old once it's on a cymbal, and the idea of model on top with logo on bottom is a fantastic move and make them look way cleaner and classier. If it didn't cost me $40 a cymbal I'd send all my sabians to be updated.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Opted to reply again instead of editing, since I felt like coming back and putting my opinion in.

I don't care about the new ad campaign, magazines are nearly dead and I have very few reasons to visit their website so I'll likely only ever see it a few times. At this point I actually prefer the new logo compared to the old once it's on a cymbal, and the idea of model on top with logo on bottom is a fantastic move and make them look way cleaner and classier. If it didn't cost me $40 a cymbal I'd send all my sabians to be updated.
I like how you think. I thought the same thing when they did it. Logo on the bottom that nobody will see. Model on top in small size. Whats not to like?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score

This is exactly how I feel. Well, not to the point of changing existing logos, but about purchasing new. I was a little preplexed when all of this started because I wasn't as bothered by it as most everyone else seemed to be. But when I went into a store and saw them in person, there was nothing that bothered me in the least and the cleaner cymbal top was absolutely a plus. To each his or her own, I guess.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel. Well, not to the point of changing existing logos, but about purchasing new. I was a little preplexed when all of this started because I wasn't as bothered by it as most everyone else seemed to be. But when I went into a store and saw them in person, there was nothing that bothered me in the least and the cleaner cymbal top was absolutely a plus. To each his or her own, I guess.
And I'm even older than Bandit (but not by much!)

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Slingerland dealt with the same type "blow back" when they started advertising rock and roll drummers as endorsers in the late 1960's. Ya know...that long-haired, drug-riddled, hippie culture and all....wonder if any geezers back in those days didn't want to be associated with a brand associated with that.
I doubt it - Buddy and Gene were still very prominent in their advertising.

Slingerland and every other drum and cymbal company added rock players in their advertising, it would have been a mistake not to. But they never lost sight of Buddy and Gene’s importance to the brand. Slngerland was catering to the older and younger player. Sabian's new messaging on the other hand only seems to be targeting young people.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Emailed them nine days ago with no reply. It would be nice to hear something from them. Maybe their loud AF cymbals make it difficult to hear when they get an email.

Dan

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bricklin was from new Brunswick too, wasn't it ? Watch your step, guys ...

So let me get this straight, it's not a cymbal I'm buying here .

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I doubt it - Buddy and Gene were still very prominent in their advertising.

Slingerland and every other drum and cymbal company added rock players in their advertising, it would have been a mistake not to. But they never lost sight of Buddy and Gene’s importance to the brand. Slngerland was catering to the older and younger player. Sabian's new messaging on the other hand only seems to be targeting young people.
Here's the flaw in that strategy - older drummers are the ones with more disposable income and whether you like it not or or want to like it or not , Bill runs the whole show .

Dollar Bill

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I emailed them again, using a different address. That did the trick. I did hear back from them, within hours.

I won't paste the response, as it's not my place to(please don't ask), but suffice it to say that I am cool with what they had to say, even if i'm not totally delighted with the "new" direction. That's their choice, and they have to deal with it.

While I was waiting, I did pick up some Zildjians and Paistes that I always wanted to try, and now I have. I am very impressed with the Zildjian redesigned A series, and while their QC is still all over the place, the newer cymbals lack that clangy, unmusical din that drove me over to Sabian in the 80's. As for Paiste, I grabbed a few 2002, Rude, and 900 Natural cymbals that are quite nice. I am using these on gigs now, but will soon phase the Sabians back in.

It's not all good news. The logo is still verboten, and if I decide to pick up new AAX's, I will wipe off that ridiculous logo like it was the H1N1 virus.

Anyone considering emailing them should do so.

Dan