Sabian Rocktagon, your thoughts?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never played or owned a Sabian Rocktagon. But it's always been intriguing to me, just for its unusual shape alone. Does anyone here use one on a regular basis as part of your kit? Not sure if I want/need one, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this longtime unique cymbal.

vegadrums77

Reaction score
Probably the coolest looking cymbal ever created! I love mine, though I seldom use it. Thanks for reminding me dust mine off and use it again :)

Nubs

Reaction score
I had a Rocktagon splash WAYYY back in the day. I really miss it and will probably get another one at some point.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned a 10, 12, 18, 20, 22
The smaller ones were ok ... didn't have much pressence.
But ... those bigger ones. Freekin amazing.
I could use the 20 and 22 as crash/rides. They had a nice fullness in the bow that allowed for a good ping and a great bell ... and the thinner edges gave them a sensitivity that was unexpected ... and let them crash unbelievably sweet. There was a trashiness to them but it never overwhelmed the shimmer. I hadn't thought of those cymbals in quite a while. I miss the larger ones. They pretty much did it all.
These were much older than the ones they produce today ... which I generally did not like when I tapped on them in the store. There's something "different" about them. Not really sure what it is. Same for the HHX and AAX remodels. And don't get me started on the new HH's ... 'clunk'
I think they might have altered the hammering??? No idea. But I don't like what I'm hearing.
I have some newer HHX/HH Prototypes that are phenomenal cymbals. But ... they are one-offs.
I did like a one-off HH Rocktagon I tried several years ago. But it was nothing like the Rocktagons they currently produce.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I find it endlessly funny that Rocktagon's sound cool, but a lot of guys won't even look at a regular cymbal with a little edge ding, notch, or crack.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I think it's because a Rocktagon is a factory cut cymbal that's simply a different shape. A round cymbal with a ding, notch or crack is a broken cymbal that wasn't built that way.

TPC

Reaction score
I think it's because a Rocktagon is a factory cut cymbal that's simply a different shape. A round cymbal with a ding, notch or crack is a broken cymbal that wasn't built that way.
Understood. The fact that sound is not the determining factor I find amusing.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think it depends on how heavy you hit them...I had a spalsh...and have 2 16s...an 18HHX proto and a 22 that heather stine worked on...actually she also worked on the 16s and...I have two cloctagons that Midwest cymbal repair made into ozones...

The HHx is probably the most musical because its thinner...the 22 when I got it was just dead sounding.

if you want an odd shape...Wuhan makes a 5 sided Linear model in 11 12 amd 15...great marriage of crash and splash.

Also...I've seen soultone has a roctagon...but they haven't been cheap enough for me to bite

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Understood. The fact that sound is not the determining factor I find amusing.
Of course, sound is the determining factor here.
The shape dictates that sound and feel as described.
You cannot have one without the other where these are concerned.
I certainly did not purchase my Rocktagons for their shape ... hahahahaha.
Why not purchase a a Paiste Signature set because you like the font.
That would just be silly.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Rocktagon splash WAYYY back in the day. I really miss it and will probably get another one at some point.
Hey, I just went through my inventory. I located a 10 Rocktagon splash. I think I picked it up here in a multiple splash deal earlier this year. Forgot I even had it.
Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Latest posts