Sabian SBR hi hat. 2 top, no bottom ?

Damgot

Reaction score
Hello, I juste received my new pearl export with a pack of sabian sbr cymbals.

I was a little suprise because hi hat must have a bottom cymbal and a top cymbal. But here both cymbals are identical... Is it normal ?

thanks for your help

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are they both stamped “top” or are you just looking at their weights? Because it is perfectly fine to have top and bottom hihats be the same weight.

Damgot

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing stamped. Except "sabian sbr hat". Weight is identical, sound is identical.

Damgot

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just weighed the cymbals and they both weigh around 925 gr.

Same weight, same diameter, same sound.

Is it a problem to have identical cymbals for a Hi Hat ?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
No problem at all! It's only a question of whether you like the sound. I myself play hihats that have the same weight top and bottom, a mixed set from different brands. Mine have different pitches, with a nice interval of a fourth between them; to me that's more musical sounding than if they were the same pitch. But there is nothing inherently bad, wrong, or a mistake about having identical top and bottom.

I guess if you wanted to send the cymbal set back for an exchange, you could do that and see if they send you a hihat set that has more difference between top and bottom. Or you can look at Ebay or your local used-gear markets for an orphan single hihat in a heavier weight.

larold

Reaction score
Before New Beats, matched-weight hi hats were common. If you're looking for a washy, sloshy hat sound, they're better than New Beats. If you want something crisper with more chick and projection, then you need a heavier bottom.

I have a set of early 60's A Zildjians where both cymbals weigh between 825 and 875. They sound great. When I was putting together a pair of hats for my handmade Turkish set, the only way I could get the sound I wanted was by combining two tops (a Mehmet Legend and a Bosphorus Traditional) and putting the bottoms in my closet.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're looking for a washy, sloshy hat sound, they're better than New Beats. If you want something crisper with more chick and projection, then you need a heavier bottom.
Yep. When I play in a situation that needs more volume and cut from the chick sound, I swap out my sloshy thin bottom hat with a heavy 2002 sound Edge. But even there, I picked one that has a nice pitch interval with the top hat.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
you know, they could both be bottoms, just sayin'
SBR = Brass cymbal, probably pretty common for them both to be nearly the same size and weight
This is correct. When I was in music retail, I unboxed many of these for beginner kits. The hats are roughly the same top/bottom.

Latest posts