Sabian SR2 Refurbished Cymbals

pstone

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one of these Sabian SR2 cymbals. Although they look like crap and the SR2 logo is hideous, they seem to be a great deal on the Sabian line.
Has anyone ever bought one of these? Are they worth the price?
Seems it's kind of pot luck as to which line they come from.
Thanks,
Pstone

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
I saw a player's set of SR2's and they sounded good. I was intrigued and asked him about them. He said that basically it IS pot luck as far as what you get. The shop he bought them from had a pretty large selection of them. They are something I wouldn't buy without hearing first, for sure. You could end up with a Vault, Paragon or any other high-end Sabian for a fraction of the normal price, even if you could file your fingernails with the surface of it. The logos would go first if I ever buy a set.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's at least one site on e-bay that has video clips of each cymbal...mycymbal.com has these, too. That can help in picking one out.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think it's pretty hit and miss. Sabian had a bunch at the Chicago show a year or two ago and they all sounded really great. Later the local Music Go Round got a bunch of them in and (IMO) none of them sounded good at all. Obviously Sabian would pick out better ones to bring to a show, and some of those were very nice (especially for the price) but that apparently doesn't apply to all of them, so hearing before buying is important.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a little bit of info on these. They are basically returns from endorsers and trade shows. Sabian stores them until they have enough to make a "run" of SR2's. Then they are available to the dealers that stock them. I was told that this is hit or miss, ie might be 2 runs a year or 5 depending on the return amounts. Sabian then reworks them into thin, med, and heavy SR2's. They guarantee that they are high end B-20 cymbals but refinish the tops so they can't be represented as their former selves on the secondary market. They only offer a 30 day warranty and you need to play or hear them (like mycymbal.com)before buying. If you can pick a few gems they certainly are reasonably priced.

gregnoiz

Reaction score
I like my 21" SR2 just fine. Good all around rock and roll ride. I bought it used but like new for $50. Not sure I'd pay the new cymbal price when you could get vintage used cymbals for the same or less money. I don't mind the finish of the SR2s - a whole set would look pretty neat I think.

Latest posts