Sabian SR2

Targalx

Reaction score
Sorry if I am re-hashing an old subject, but the search function wouldn't allow me to search for "SR2" (it's too short of a phrase).
I've had my eyes on these Thin models for a while. Never played them before. Apparently, they are all remanufactured from various cymbal lines.
Thoughts about how they've worked out for you? Tips/tricks/advice on what to look for with buying these? Are they worth the lower price point?
(1980s TV commercial tag line for you: "Enquiring minds want to know. I want to know!")

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the responses. I've had a curiosity for the SR series, too.

GeeDeeEmm

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve only played them in shops, haven’t taken any home. Because they start off life with different amounts of hammering, different profiles, and (I think) different alloys, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to generalize about how they sound. The two consistent things I can say are: I haven’t found one that I liked, and the rough sanded surface seems like it would wear down wood stick tips.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I bought an SR2 18" Thin Crash from a member here because it had very likely been an Artisan Crash in it's previous life and you can tell by the bell hammering which still evident. I haven't tried a whole lot of SR2 cymbals but I'm confident there's not many out there that sound as nice as this one. If you're familiar with Sabian's various series & models you can sometimes know what to look for when inspecting & testing out a refurbished SR2 ....and find clues about what it possibly once was.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have several I've handpicked over the years that I like, a thin 18" crash (no hammering, dark tone (AAX, maybe), a 15" heavy (used under a 15" Canadian A Zildjian top hat, was an HH, HHX or prototype) and a few thin splashes. They're totally worth digging through! Like EvEnStEvEn mentioned, "if you're familiar with Sabian's various series & models you can sometimes know what to look for when inspecting & testing out a refurbished SR2 ....and find clues about what it possibly once was".

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would agree with the above responses. If you can test them in person (and, additionally, are familiar enough with Sabian's offerings to hazard a good guess at what they might have been in a former life), there's some smokin' deals to be had. I've had pretty good luck with SR2s - have quite a few now: 2 rides, a splash, 2 chinas, and some thin-ish hihats, all originally HHs I think. I have had a ride and a crash that I was sort of "meh" about, and those got traded.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... Because they start off life with different amounts of hammering, different profiles, and (I think) different alloys, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to generalize about how they sound.
All the "donor" cymbals are B20. It has to be that way because no customer is going to pay those prices if they think they may be getting a B8 for their money. Regardless, everything I've read up to this point also indicates B20 donor's only.

I'm with you on the finish. I wish they'd make the SRs more attractive. Even so, the current finish (when kept clean) looks very nice under lights.

GeeDeeEmm

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got a 12" thin that I use as a splash and it's the best splash I've ever heard (for my taste). It has HHX hammering.

Targalx

Reaction score
Thank you all for your insights. I'm going to check a few out soon. Hopefully, I'll have the same luck many of you seem to be having in finding some cool sounding pans!

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I had a large collection of SR2 cymbals that I eventually sold. I had to sift through many of the different models, and bought from many different places. The thins are the nicest-sounding in my opinion... but you have the listen for yourself. I was disappointed in the 10" splash... I found one that sounded terrific (online), and when I received it, it was obviously cracked and repaired. It didn't re-crack... but the idea of spending almost $100 for a cracked, refurbished cymbal bothered me. As far as the SR2 finish goes, it does hold up and shine under lights, but don't depend on the idea of eventually cleaning then... the surface is rough, even sharp in some spots, and tears rags apart.

REF

Reaction score
I bought three of them. A crash and two rides. For me, they are basically duds because I like bright sounds. I reworked one of the rides and it turned into a nice Jazz ride. Still, Jazz gigs are not my thing but, it was a decent experiment.

I could not tell what these were in their first life. They were dry, whatever they were, and remained so as SR's.

Targalx

Reaction score
I bought three of them. A crash and two rides. For me, they are basically duds because I like bright sounds. I reworked one of the rides and it turned into a nice Jazz ride. Still, Jazz gigs are not my thing but, it was a decent experiment.
I could not tell what these were in their first life. They were dry, whatever they were, and remained so as SR's.
This is actually encouraging for me, as I like really dark cymbals, and dry is generally pretty good in my book, too. And I do play my fair share of jazz gigs, so it seems like a nice match.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is actually encouraging for me, as I like really dark cymbals, and dry is generally pretty good in my book, too. And I do play my fair share of jazz gigs, so it seems like a nice match.
You might already know all this but just in case I'm letting posting it:
If you like dark & dry, check Amazon daily for anything Istanbul Mehmet. For me (my opinion) the Turkish cymbals are the best when it comes to dark cymbals. I bought all my Turkish (and some Italian), I have about 15 of them! thru Amazon little by little. Check everyday and you will find them one by one at blowout prices that beat anything out there. These are Brand new (not refurbished) Pro level cymbals for the price of beginner cymbals. Search for the series that are dark & dry, go to Mehmet's website and you will see which ones they are. When you find one at the blowout price, listen to the cymbal on YouTube. I still look everyday for the heck of it and their is always at least 1 on sale daily. Just last week I bought a pair of 13" Mehmet hats for like $130. A search trick: For example if you want to search crashes type in the Amazon search box "Istanbul mehmet crash" and then filter prices from Low to High and search! Do the same for every type you want to search. I have all the searches bookmarked. I search Istanbul Mehmet, UFIP & Bosphorus. The SR2's are Sabians way of recycling what they can't sell as new instead of trashing it. Their rough as heck and a pain because you have to search specifically for one that you might like, and in the end, you are buying something that's been recut without having a clue what it really is. Because it once might have been a HH, doesn't mean it's an HH after cutting it and will no longer sound like what it originally was. No need for that with what you can get thru Amazon. Again, just my humble opinion!

Last edited:

Targalx

Reaction score
You might already know all this but just in case I'm letting posting it:
Thanks for the tips, lrod. And yes, I just bought an Istanbul Mehmet 22" ride, used it for the first time on a gig this past Sunday. They are totally up my alley.

I am a big Sabian fan (I primarily use Manhattans, Artisans and the Dark Crashes) and have been for the past 15 years, but I am loving the Istabul Mehmets, too. I also bought two pairs of Soultone hi-hats that are working well for me.

I also have Paistes and Zildjians in my collection, but I think I'll be selling most/all of those soon. Just not getting much use from them anymore.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, lrod. And yes, I just bought an Istanbul Mehmet 22" ride, used it for the first time on a gig this past Sunday. They are totally up my alley.

I am a big Sabian fan (I primarily use Manhattans, Artisans and the Dark Crashes) and have been for the past 15 years, but I am loving the Istabul Mehmets, too. I also bought two pairs of Soultone hi-hats that are working well for me.

I also have Paistes and Zildjians in my collection, but I think I'll be selling most/all of those soon. Just not getting much use from them anymore.
Ah ok, cool! I too have a couple Soultone's I've bought. I went from Sabían to Paiste and ended up selling all that and going to all the Amazon stuff. I looked into the SR2's at the time and opted out of them for the issues I previously described. I don't think they are worth it unless you find one that you totally fall in love with and for me that would also have to come with a bargain price. Either way, good luck with your search, I know this is an endless endeavor!

Targalx

Reaction score
Either way, good luck with your search, I know this is an endless endeavor!
30+ years of drumming so far... But, you know, I feel like I'm finally honing it in to what I really like. It was a long, wayward, roundabout journey that involved bad decisions, too much money spent, too much time experimenting, but in the end, I have a setup that I can really work with.

Targalx

Reaction score
Wellllll, I finally checked out a couple SR2 Thins last night. I A/Bed them at the music store against some new AAX and AAs, and there's a dramatic difference. Enough of a difference for me not to buy the SR2s (and I am a very big Sabian fan). The ones I tried were dull, uninspiring and just not good enough to act as either crashes or rides in my setup. I don't know which models they were in a former life (I couldn't tell by the lathing/hammering), but these were made for someone else's setup, not for me. Thanks for all your input.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wellllll, I finally checked out a couple SR2 Thins last night. I A/Bed them at the music store against some new AAX and AAs, and there's a dramatic difference. Enough of a difference for me not to buy the SR2s (and I am a very big Sabian fan). The ones I tried were dull, uninspiring and just not good enough to act as either crashes or rides in my setup. I don't know which models they were in a former life (I couldn't tell by the lathing/hammering), but these were made for someone else's setup, not for me. Thanks for all your input.
Gotta try, and you did! I never saw them as Sabian because the relathing takes the "Sabian sound" out of the cymbals and that rough texture is not very aesthetic. They seem like a super deal when you read about them but in the end, they really aren't. The search continues!

markkarj

Reaction score
Sorry if I am re-hashing an old subject, but the search function wouldn't allow me to search for "SR2" (it's too short of a phrase).
I've had my eyes on these Thin models for a while. Never played them before. Apparently, they are all remanufactured from various cymbal lines.
Thoughts about how they've worked out for you? Tips/tricks/advice on what to look for with buying these? Are they worth the lower price point?
(1980s TV commercial tag line for you: "Enquiring minds want to know. I want to know!")
I've owned three SR2 cymbals. My current two are a 22" thin (which I think is an Omni), and an 18" thin (which is likely a fierce crash).

I wouldn't buy an SR2 without hearing it first. Those two are great cymbals for the prices I paid.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tried some SR2s at Sabian's booth at the Chicago drum show a few years back when they were first released and they were all beautiful sounding. It was explained that these were reworked test prototypes and/or returned endorser cymbals that may have originally been anything from an AA to an HHX. I didn't buy any of those that day despite the attractive pricing (there were some mighty nice ones but I had other purchase priorities just then). Therefore I know that some nice ones do exist. Obviously the ones they brought to the show had been "cherry picked" to make sure they made a good impression. Later my local music store would occasionally get a few in at a time (apparently Sabian reworks the returned cymbals into SR2 cymbals in batches when they have enough to make it worthwhile) and not a one ever sounded good to me. Perhaps just bad luck as far as the ones shipped to that particular store, or maybe someone else always beat me to all the good sounding ones (unlikely, as I frequented that store pretty often). The pricing was always attractive for a "new" cymbal, but they all sounded terrible to me.

So I guess the bottom line from my experience is, they can represent a great value for a cast B20 cymbal purchase (if you don't mind the rough surface they finish them with) and sweet sounding ones do exist, but many (perhaps the majority) are "dogs" (at least to my ears) so you should definitely hear what you're buying in person before you lay out your bucks.

Latest posts