Sabian XS 20

Vati

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went to Guitar Center to find the "right cymbal". I almost went with the black Zildjan ride,but it had a dead sound when hitting it a certain way. I ended up after all of those cymbals liking the 20" sabian XS .I guess I have a tin ear.In that isolated room.... If I get out in a bigger room the cymbal will sound different. I see them on Ebay all of the time so I will bide my time and get one off the BAY.It sure was fun seeing 15 little Van halens shredding on guitar all at one time and 3 guys on bass.It sounded like world War 3.and nobody was rappin or scratchin. real live instruments. GC has a room for DJ's,it was empty!!!!!! Seaons Greetin's Vati

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually prefer shopping at GC than shopping online for my cymbals. For one, you can't accurately compare sounds when shopping online and two the guys there know me and we like to talk about the stuff and give our opinions of different sounds. You may find a great deal on eBay, but there is nothing like pitch-matching your cymbals live with another guy for advice and counsel.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
BoxMonster13 said:
I actually prefer shopping at GC than shopping online for my cymbals. For one, you can't accurately compare sounds when shopping online and two the guys there know me and we like to talk about the stuff and give our opinions of different sounds. You may find a great deal on eBay, but there is nothing like pitch-matching your cymbals live with another guy for advice and counsel.
-1, sorry. :roll:

If you want to find a great cymbal selection, a drum shop is the place to go (a 5-star drum shop if you can), not GC. If you want the best prices on new cymbals, a drum shop, not GC. If you want the best service and straight talk about pricing and customer loyalty, establish a relationship with (you guessed it) a DRUM SHOP, not GC.

Disclaimer -- not unfairly bashing GC here, just speaking from experience.

Secondly (and possibly more importantly), with the glut of cymbals sold every week on eBay, the o/p could likely buy 2 or 3 for the same money as buying a new one at GC, pick the one he likes best, and sell the others for as much or more than he paid. Ebay has become my preferred method of trying out cymbals -- if I was willing to pick this one up for a deal, so will someone else be.

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
loss,

I totally agree about finding a smaller drumshop, even a small music shop that has drummers on staff will offer better prices than GC. My only point was that it is much better to hear something before you buy it. I recently picked up a new K mini China for almost 25% off of the price at a small music shop in Bloomington, IN. I'm glad I shopped around for the right sound. I never will buy a cymbal though without hearing it first. I don't care what kind of deal you get online if you don't know how the cymbal plays in your setup, you shouldn't buy it. Also eBay rips you off with all types of service charges, which is not cool.

I guess the biggest factor for me is the sound. Because I played several other tonal instruments before starting drums, matching pitches of cymbals is extremely important to me (I picked my second crash to very carefully - it is almost exactly one whole step lower in tone than my first crash). I can't just go off of some description written on a website to decide if I want a cymbal. I also bring in my cymbals when I go to a shop so I can test different combos and see what matches my current setup best.

mbettis

Reaction score
I can certainly dig what you are saying, but I don't want to limit my cymbal choices to merely the ones I can hear in person. For example, I went through seven or eight 22" Paiste Sound Creation and Formula 602 Dark Rides in the last few years to find the one I wanted to keep. I couldn't have done that without buying on-line, and there are thousands of cymbals that would be in that same boat.

Later,
Matt

Vati

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do NOT buy at GC just try out stuff!!V

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
BoxMonster13 said:
loss,

I totally agree about finding a smaller drumshop, even a small music shop that has drummers on staff will offer better prices than GC. My only point was that it is much better to hear something before you buy it. I recently picked up a new K mini China for almost 25% off of the price at a small music shop in Bloomington, IN. I'm glad I shopped around for the right sound. I never will buy a cymbal though without hearing it first. I don't care what kind of deal you get online if you don't know how the cymbal plays in your setup, you shouldn't buy it. Also eBay rips you off with all types of service charges, which is not cool.

I guess the biggest factor for me is the sound. Because I played several other tonal instruments before starting drums, matching pitches of cymbals is extremely important to me (I picked my second crash to very carefully - it is almost exactly one whole step lower in tone than my first crash). I can't just go off of some description written on a website to decide if I want a cymbal. I also bring in my cymbals when I go to a shop so I can test different combos and see what matches my current setup best.

Just curious, how much did you pay for that K Mini China?

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I paid $160 for it. Which is funny because I as bidding on one on eBay the week before and lost the bid at $150 without shipping (I think shipping was about $15). eBay is so hit or miss I just would rather deal with something I can hear and play before purchasing, especially if I'm going to pay more for it online than in store. Plus I'm not patient, I don't want to have to wait months to get a cymbal just because no one is selling them.

Vati

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my town the drum shop makes enough profit on the sale of one set of drum sticks to settle the national debt. You should see what he charges for a set of drums and or cymbals!!!!V