Sacrilege to drill out mounting hole?

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a 50's Zildjian A that has the smaller mounting hole. My stands have the 6mm post, but every time we play a backline setup the cymbal sits really tight since those are all 8mm. I'm afraid of cracking it since it doesn't swing as freely.

Is it a no-no to drill it out to match a modern mounting hole? It does have a bit of keyholing, but that's not the main reason I would consider this. The other option is to just bring one of my stands with me, but that's not always available to me.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Reaction score
There should never be any guilt with making minor adjustments to a vintage instrument to make it more play-able.

High speed drill, a 2x4 to drill into, a sharp bit, and take a couple of mm's off as quick as possible. Don't create any heat (always beware of retempering,) i.e.. don't "take your time." In and out , nobody get's hurt!

I have done this to all (2 pairs) 4 holes on my old Zildjian 13" A Hats. You can't even tell by looking at them, and it's been years with no problems.

MSG

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys! My plan was to get a fresh bit and mark it for the exact diameter. I have a ton of wood cut-offs from my woodworking that I was going to use to rest it on/drill into. From what I saw in just a couple minutes of research, it looks like the "modern" hole is 1/2" but I'll double check with my other cymbals. At least brass/bronze is pretty soft compared to most metals.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Rat tail file sometimes enough

well, used on some old Ks to fit on a hi hat stand..
couple swipes back and forth all that was needed,
to 'openzee hole".

mebeatee

Reaction score
I have an old 15" Zildjian crash where the hole is a little smaller as well.
I had thought of drilling it out a bit, but found a way around it.
If I want to use it as a crash then I use it with an old Ludwig Atlas stand with the white plastic sleeve, as they are not as wide as more modern ones. I have a number of these stands and a good stash of sleeves.
More often than that it's used as the top cymbal in a pair of 15" hihats.....with a 15" K dark crash on the bottom.
No drilling done at all....the only thing is, it's a very tight fit onto the stem of an old Zildjian moulded cymbal case...but no biggie.
Interesting as I originally was hesitant to drill it out until I found the workaround(s).....considering all the drilling I've done to a '65 set of Sonor's, mid '70's Gretsch kit, and a '63 Camco snare (among others) to replace snare mechanism's, butt ends, bd spurs et al.....
However as you say it's only when using a backline kit...should be no problem as well....just bring a stand along....you are bringing the usual snare and and bd pedal?
bt

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just take your time and do it well, and in the end, you've made the world a better place.

Just out of curiousity, what size/weight is this bad boy?

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on the step bit. I found a reaming hand tool at a hardware store, too. Very clean, no angst about heating etc.
Absolutely enlarge it - unless it’s a museum piece.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My other thought was a step bit too, but I'd have to go out and buy one. In that case it'll be a project down the road since I'm trying to stay away from people right now. I'm not really using it now anyway with all my cancelled gigs. I'd rather not have to bring another cymbal stand for backline kits if I'm already bringing cymbals, throne, snare, and pedal/gear bag, and often lately my hi hat stand.

If it would fit with my drill press I'd do that. Line it up and one quick pull, done! I already have a rat tail file, so maybe I'll go that route. Another option is a sanding wheel in my dremel, but that might heat it up too much. Either way, I've got plenty of time now.

nickrobotron, it's an 18" Zildjian A from the 50's, 1742 grams according to the DFO member I bought it from.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is what I’ve used on most old k’s. Works like a charm, no heat, nice smooth hole. Only go as big as you need.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
This is what I’ve used on most old k’s. Works like a charm, no heat, nice smooth hole. Only go as big as you need.
That's a good idea, plus I can get another flashlight or tape measure from HF :icon_lol:

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used a 1/2" reamer for years on old As, and it works like a charm. I also use a deburring tool to finish the edges. better and easier than a file.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Same here with the T reamer, I've used one for many years for this exact purpose. Does a clean job, zero chance of damage from heat or high speed spinning.

Latest posts