Sad News and an Appreciation of Surf Music

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Given my username, you can tell my favorite band is the Beach Boys. Not sure if it entirely counts as surf, though they did some surf instrumentals that I'd consider authentic. That was what I practiced to mainly when I first started learning drums. Them and the Ventures, then eventually other stuff. I even wrote a little surf song a few years back for a side band I was in.

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok growing up in LA I'll admit I had a crush on Annette Funicello for a month in '63. My first girlfriend looked just like her but wasn't as wholesome. I was too young to know the difference anyway.
My first band was lucky enough to have a guitar player who could play a lot of the surf tunes note for note. We did the Ventures hits, The Surfaris, The Challengers. Whittier Blvd but The Midniters a local East LA band. Most of these were regional hits not heard on the East coast. They had their hits too I'm sure that we never heard. I remember going to the The Teenage Fair at the Hollywood Palladium. Sort of the precursor to the NAMM show.
Sandy Nelson came up around that time too.
Teen Fair and the KHJ Battle of the Bands. Now yer talkin’