Sad news: Bill Rieflin has died

larold

Reaction score
I met him briefly before a Robyn Hitchcock show he was playing. My friend, bassist Fred Chalenor (sadly also gone) had played with him in the Slow Music project with Robert Fripp, Peter Buck, etc, and the three of us had a beer before he had to get ready to play. Good guy.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I met him briefly before a Robyn Hitchcock show he was playing. My friend, bassist Fred Chalenor (sadly also gone) had played with him in the Slow Music project with Robert Fripp, Peter Buck, etc, and the three of us had a beer before he had to get ready to play. Good guy.
Slow Music is a pretty obscure little side project, but that's actually the only time I've seen Fripp and Rieflin perform. Small dinner club in L.A. called Largo where I sat only a few feet away from Bill.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Total art guy drummer and such a fine player. Saw him once with REM, maybe 10 years ago in a giant arena in suburban Detroit. He made the arena thing work.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I wasn't familiar with Rieflin, but I'm hugely impressed by how varied his resume is -- I mean from The Swans and Ministry to R.E.M.! Dude could truly play just about anything.

What It Is

Reaction score
Heard about this in the morning. Awful news. Saw him with numerous bands over the years, last time with KC. Supremely talented, humble, nice guy. RIP Bill.