Sad News on The Deteriorating Health of Phil Collins

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't watched that video, but in the news recently - he looks very old and frail.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even seated, hard to imagine him being able to actually do the planned Genesis tour. Heartbreaking.
I saw the proposed set list and, though it obviously could change, it is no different than the 2007 reunion. Way too much 80's pop for my liking, but under the conditions of Phils health with only his vocal ability to contribute, I guess it is what it is. His son is on drums for the upcoming tour. That is, if it happens. If Phil can't make it...it's off.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting video.
It didn’t actually have any “news” as was implied by the title.
No updated condition.
It was merely a recap of what is already known.

BUT … he added some very negative opinion.
He makes it clear that he personally doesn’t want to go to the show.
And then he prognosticates about others ... that they probably won’t want to see the show.

This video is merely an individual with an ax to grind for whatever reason.
Not something I’d call “news” or even an “update”.
More like “venting”.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No updated condition.

And then he prognosticates about others ... that they probably won’t want to see the show.

More like “venting”.
I would have to agree with your assessment. The video was a hack job.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The experience of paying out $25 million to divorce wife three, taking her back and then learning she’s living with a new husband at Collins’ estate (and evicting her) probably took quite a toll in terms of stress. Also explains why he needs cash.

Attachments

notINtheband

Reaction score
The experience of paying out $25 million to divorce wife three, taking her back and then learning she’s living with a new husband at Collins’ estate (and evicting her) probably took quite a toll in terms of stress. Also explains why he needs cash.
I could swear several years ago I read a story about how Phil dated then later married a woman, who until their engagement wasn’t aware he was even a musician much less an icon.
He said he kept it from her to ensure her feelings for him wasn’t based on fame or wealth.
I’ve no idea if this was the same wife or even the validity of that story but im sure I read that years if not decades ago.

GrandfatherOdin

Reaction score
Eww, that picture is gross. Really makes you question the validity of any love song he ever wrote...

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the many clickbait videos out there. Invariably, they're titled "the sad end" or "the sad news" or some junk like that. I don't watch them.
Contrary to the prevailing mood of this thread. It WAS news this week. The three individual members of Genesis did press interviews this week to promote their 'farewell tour', in which Collins said he probably couldn't tour again (after this) and basically couldn't hold a drum stick. He looked very old and frail during the interview.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Sad to see him like this - he is one of my heroes and few could match his body of work through the 80s and 90s. I saw Genesis on the Reunion tour in 2007, and he played very well - the duet with Chester Thompson was a real treat. I wish him all the best.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I'm a dweller on the threshold
I am waiting by the door

I 'm standing in the darkness
I don't want to wait no more " .... Van Morrison

Last edited:

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I didn't really care much for the "pop" phase of the guy's career since the 80s, but I have much admiration for him as a drummer and even a writer/singer in the first few years of Genesis post Gabriel (he fit into that role perfectly, really). I can't really hold it against the guy though that I'm not crazy about so much of his music because I can't really say that he sold out, as he might just be perusing the kind of music that's closest to his heart and I can't fault anyone for that. Still, it's sad that he didn't do much of the more arty stuff that I really love, like his contributions to Brian Eno and peter Gabriel's albums, which to my mind were truly brilliant.

Whatever he may or may not mean to me as an artist, I woudn't wish the kind of relationship and physical problems that he has on anyone...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whatever he may or may not mean to me as an artist, I woudn't wish the kind of relationship and physical problems that he has on anyone...
I know, right? In the past I would have said "I'd give anything to be Phil" and yet, add in the health and relationship issues (which are BIG money issues) and suddenly my little life looks so much better to me. Not that I was complaining in the first place.

Best wishes to Phil and the guys. I'm not going to the concert but if people are willing to fill arenas for you, may as well have at it.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alcoholism. He mentions it in an interview as to why such a drastic change in his condition (and this was years ago). Very sad.

5stroke

Reaction score
No updated condition.

More like “venting”.
Agreed 100%. There's so many videos on YT that preface with "The Sad News..." and it is quickly apparent this type of title is just a hook to get you to watch their half-truths/exaggerations-- usually its what you knew already but with a Negative Spin! These naysayers copy what the the media/ news stations have done forever-- bad news headlines sell the best....