Sad News on The Deteriorating Health of Phil Collins

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is an interesting video.
It didn’t actually have any “news” as was implied by the title.
No updated condition.
It was merely a recap of what is already known.

BUT … he added some very negative opinion.
He makes it clear that he personally doesn’t want to go to the show.
And then he prognosticates about others ... that they probably won’t want to see the show.

This video is merely an individual with an ax to grind for whatever reason.
Not something I’d call “news” or even an “update”.
More like “venting”.
Please, let us know how the show is after you see it.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the many clickbait videos out there. Invariably, they're titled "the sad end" or "the sad news" or some junk like that. I don't watch them.

Dan
Please let us know how the show is after you go. Thanks.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My daughter is a big Phil fan (as am I) and we saw him back in 2019. Couldn’t move around a lot in stage, but his voice was fine and the band was great. His son is a killer drummer.
Where did Genesis tour in 2019?

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
God

He’s aged so much

I was going to go to the Chicago show

But his voice is gone and I just don’t want to remember it like this

Joe DiMaggio was asked y he retired on top

“Because I couldn’t be Joe DiMaggio anymore”

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't really care much for the "pop" phase of the guy's career since the 80s, but I have much admiration for him as a drummer and even a writer/singer in the first few years of Genesis post Gabriel (he fit into that role perfectly, really). I can't really hold it against the guy though that I'm not crazy about so much of his music because I can't really say that he sold out, as he might just be perusing the kind of music that's closest to his heart and I can't fault anyone for that. Still, it's sad that he didn't do much of the more arty stuff that I really love, like his contributions to Brian Eno and peter Gabriel's albums, which to my mind were truly brilliant.

Whatever he may or may not mean to me as an artist, I woudn't wish the kind of relationship and physical problems that he has on anyone...
What about Jack Lancaster, Wilding/ Bonus, Anthony Phillips, Robert Plant, Steve Hackett and Brand X? No? Phil was a drumming force in his day. But after the whole 80’s shift and his own solo career into soundtracks, he doesn’t inspire me in his drumming. See to many people hear In The Air Tonight, Can’t Hurry Love or Chinese Wall and think that’s Phil Collins. Is it? Go listen to In The Cage, Colony of Slipperman, Riding The Scree, Apocalypse in 9/8, Down ‘n Out, Triumphant Limp or Geese and The Ghost…that’s the real Phil Collins. But if he can’t get out of a chair, what are you seeing but a shadow of his former self. And for the people that think he’s still singing great, they have no idea what this man could do with a song like Carpet Crawlers back in 1977!

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
God

He’s aged so much

I was going to go to the Chicago show

But his voice is gone and I just don’t want to remember it like this

Joe DiMaggio was asked y he retired on top

“Because I couldn’t be Joe DiMaggio anymore”
Part of wisdom is knowing when you're past your expiration date.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What would you be saying here?
If you are not going to the show, then you just did the same thing that the guy in the video did. Only he did it to Phil and you did it to him. So I think you are going and just asked to please let us know how it goes upon your seeing them.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
What about Jack Lancaster, Wilding/ Bonus, Anthony Phillips, Robert Plant, Steve Hackett and Brand X? No? Phil was a drumming force in his day. But after the whole 80’s shift and his own solo career into soundtracks, he doesn’t inspire me in his drumming. See to many people hear In The Air Tonight, Can’t Hurry Love or Chinese Wall and think that’s Phil Collins. Is it? Go listen to In The Cage, Colony of Slipperman, Riding The Scree, Apocalypse in 9/8, Down ‘n Out, Triumphant Limp or Geese and The Ghost…that’s the real Phil Collins. But if he can’t get out of a chair, what are you seeing but a shadow of his former self. And for the people that think he’s still singing great, they have no idea what this man could do with a song like Carpet Crawlers back in 1977!
Actually I think it is really all... the real Phil Collins.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting video.
It didn’t actually have any “news” as was implied by the title.
No updated condition.
It was merely a recap of what is already known.

BUT … he added some very negative opinion.
He makes it clear that he personally doesn’t want to go to the show.
And then he prognosticates about others ... that they probably won’t want to see the show.

This video is merely an individual with an ax to grind for whatever reason.
Not something I’d call “news” or even an “update”.
More like “venting”.
Well said. this is a complete non-story. There is nothing new in here. This has been the same state of affairs for Collins as it has been for years. I read this story earlier in the week on CNN and thought it was ridiculous to report when I read it. Is the news cycle so slow tat they had to re-report what's been known for years?

Yes CNN, Elvis is still dead.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Well said. this is a complete non-story. There is nothing new in here. This has been the same state of affairs for Collins as it has been for years. I read this story earlier in the week on CNN and thought it was ridiculous to report when I read it. Is the news cycle so slow tat they had to re-report what's been known for years?

Yes CNN, Elvis is still dead.
Is Elvis going on tour in November? Is he asking people to buy tickets? What an uninformed take!

Last edited:

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They’re just going to play their pop hits, that most of us on this forum can’t stand. I think it’s time for Phil Collins and Genesis to retire.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Genesis played my college 34 years ago. Students slept in tents for days for the first crack at tickets. I didn’t get it.
I wrote an article for the school paper. The first line was “It looked like an rock and roll refugee camp …”

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Still, I get it... if you're a big fan of all of the music that he's likely to do (the more pop stuff that he's been doing cince the 80s) then I get why you might want to see him. A few years ago I got to see great tenor sax man Pharaoh Sanders and that guy wasn't doing so well. he actually played remarkably little, considering it was his band and there was even some talk about how before the show, he had some kind of health crisis and almost had to cancel the thing. Still, his band was great and even if he left most of the solos to his band makes, he did play those great melodies a few short solos... and sounded really good playing that stuff, even if it was far less than what the fans might have liked. It could have gone the other way though, I realize, like when I saw Art Blakey's band play in the late 80s and it seemed that the band was really propping him up. his groove was kind of unsteady to say the least and I felt kind of sad that he was still gigging in that condition... Maybe PC will sound just good enough to bring some of the magic that people came to see... and that will probably be enough for lots of the fans.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are not going to the show, then you just did the same thing that the guy in the video did.
No.
You are incorrect and lack logic here.
We analyzed the video … myself and quite a few others here that have also weighed in on what this is.
Are you saying all of us are wrong in our assessment?
That is a very odd reaction.

You do not have to agree with our findings, but you do have to allow for the space to voice them without the personal swipe at us.

It is merely an opinion on a silly clickbait video and you are reacting as if this is very personal to you.

We are just a bunch of drummers on here enjoying ourselves by sharing and gabbing about all things drums.
Please try to keep that in mind.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is merely an opinion on a silly clickbait video and you are reacting as if this is very personal to you.
It is not a 'silly clickbait video' as I pointed out the band held press conferences this week and Collins told the BBC he could no longer even hold a drum stick any more.
Secondly, from background film about a previous tour a few years ago, Collins was VERY reluctant to tour but felt obligated because the other two guys really wanted to play live. Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks would be playing small theatres without Collins and without being able to call it 'Genesis'.
I am absolutely not a Collins or Genesis fan, but I respect what Collins has achieved and I'm quite shocked at all the knee jerk negativity without really knowing the facts being posted in this thread.