Sad News on The Deteriorating Health of Phil Collins

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Karma.

He should have stopped after 2007.

That was a great show (eventhough he was not 100% already) , together with his Final Farewell show (Which saw the tormented Chester on drums).

Last edited:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I grew up a huge Genesis and Phil fan, and still am. I personally don't want to see the show because the era they will highlight isn't my favorite, and I'm a fan of Duke and Abacab as well as the back catalogue. I thought - they should hang it up, but then again - why? Maybe if they were touring clubs for 2000 people I'd say yes, your time is over. But there's still a demand. A large demand. It just isn't my crowd. Keep going until you end up opening for puppet shows I say.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been a huge Phil Collins fan, but wish him the best. I have had a few opportunities though to see aging musicians whose work that I love, that I ended up sitting out because I didn't want to see them in that state, or at the time was focused on seeing more up and coming artists. I regret pretty much everyone of these. Most have since passed, and I would give a lot to see any of them just sit on stage. If you love an artist, then they will have something worth sharing, regardless of where they are in their lives/musicianship. And if they are that far gone - yet still decide to tour, then that tells you a lot about their current needs, financial or otherwise. So why not take the opportunity to pay back some of that love, buy a ticket and put some cash in their pockets, or just stand with the rest of the crowd and clap and share some love. Imagine how it must feel for them being up there, realizing this is their last chance to experience a moment like that doing something that defined their lives. Call me a softy or whatever, but that's my 2 cents.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not a 'silly clickbait video' as I pointed out the band held press conferences this week and Collins told the BBC he could no longer even hold a drum stick any more.
Secondly, from background film about a previous tour a few years ago, Collins was VERY reluctant to tour but felt obligated because the other two guys really wanted to play live. Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks would be playing small theatres without Collins and without being able to call it 'Genesis'.
I am absolutely not a Collins or Genesis fan, but I respect what Collins has achieved and I'm quite shocked at all the knee jerk negativity without really knowing the facts being posted in this thread.

Not being contrary.
Just want to point something out that you seemed to have missed.

This video is not to be classified as "news".
We (drummers) knew of his condition well over a year ago.
It is severe nerve damage.
It was impacting his leg, foot, arm, hand, and back ... perhaps more.
We knew what was going on.
Why would his inability to handle the drums shock anyone that sits behind the drumkit?

It was about a year ago when Vistalite Black (I believe) posted a similar Phil thread where it was noted Phil's health was on a serious decline. It prompted the drummers that might have been unaware to dig just a bit into how he was doing and could he sit behind the kit anymore. It was a fairly simple conclusion. He wouldn't be drumming much at all. His kid was being groomed to take the spot. We even had the discussions centered on that, too. Quite a bit of talk on here and elsewhere this past year.

A year ago, he was a very frail man ... which was addressed by a LOT of clickbaiters.
His walk was not steady and caused him to fall - ended up in the hospital. His ex complained of his inability to perform in bed ... newsworthy? He couldn't accomplish the simplest of tasks due to the nerve damage. He and his son both had been making comments about his diminished ability behind the kit ... hence his son stepping in to drum.
Even if one didn't pick up on these ... anyone with a modicum of common sense could infer the nerve damage in his back, hand, leg, foot, and such would impact his drumming ... i.e. his ability to hold a stick. One could also conclude he had difficulty lacing his shoes, buttoning his shirts, etc. It's a pretty straight logic path.

Did you not understand how bad his health was a year ago?
That would explain the interest in this "news" cycle. (not a slam, just a logical conclusion)

The idea that Phil made a simple statement that most every drummer on the face of the earth already knew (an obvious exageration for impact) ... begs the question - is that news to the drummers on this forum???
Shocking if it is.
It has been discussed on more than this drum forum, for sure.

So ... hopefully that will help you to see why many of us classify that video as "clickbait".
It's pretty clear me that it is.
It's pretty clear to others that it is.
We've heard it before ... too long ago for it to be classified as "news".

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
all transmissable news is clickbait
I've never bought anything from it. I don't think

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So ... hopefully that will help you to see why many of us classify that video as "clickbait".
It was in THE NEWS this week. Probably because the tour starts next month.Nuff said.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Not being contrary.
Just want to point something out that you seemed to have missed.

This video is not to be classified as "news".
We (drummers) knew of his condition well over a year ago.
It is severe nerve damage.
It was impacting his leg, foot, arm, hand, and back ... perhaps more.
We knew what was going on.
Why would his inability to handle the drums shock anyone that sits behind the drumkit?

It was about a year ago when Vistalite Black (I believe) posted a similar Phil thread where it was noted Phil's health was on a serious decline. It prompted the drummers that might have been unaware to dig just a bit into how he was doing and could he sit behind the kit anymore. It was a fairly simple conclusion. He wouldn't be drumming much at all. His kid was being groomed to take the spot. We even had the discussions centered on that, too. Quite a bit of talk on here and elsewhere this past year.

A year ago, he was a very frail man ... which was addressed by a LOT of clickbaiters.
His walk was not steady and caused him to fall - ended up in the hospital. His ex complained of his inability to perform in bed ... newsworthy? He couldn't accomplish the simplest of tasks due to the nerve damage. He and his son both had been making comments about his diminished ability behind the kit ... hence his son stepping in to drum.
Even if one didn't pick up on these ... anyone with a modicum of common sense could infer the nerve damage in his back, hand, leg, foot, and such would impact his drumming ... i.e. his ability to hold a stick. One could also conclude he had difficulty lacing his shoes, buttoning his shirts, etc. It's a pretty straight logic path.

Did you not understand how bad his health was a year ago?
That would explain the interest in this "news" cycle. (not a slam, just a logical conclusion)

The idea that Phil made a simple statement that most every drummer on the face of the earth already knew (an obvious exageration for impact) ... begs the question - is that news to the drummers on this forum???
Shocking if it is.
It has been discussed on more than this drum forum, for sure.

It's pretty clear me that it is.
It's pretty clear to others that it is.
We've heard it before ... too long ago for it to be classified as "news".
If something has been previously reported, it's still "news" to someone who wasn't aware it happened.

For example, until this year, I didn't know the lyric "If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand" was aimed at his second wife -- who cheated on him with a house painter he'd hired.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If something has been previously reported, it's still "news" to someone who wasn't aware it happened.

For example, until this year, I didn't know the lyric "If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand" was aimed at his second wife -- who cheated on him with a house painter he'd hired.
"It's news - or it's news to you" I think is the saying.

I did know that about the lyrics, I'd heard that in a documentary or something a long time ago.

I'm really not a Phil Collins fan in part because of stuff like this, he always came off to me as a weird, bitter guy.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"It's news - or it's news to you" I think is the saying.

I did know that about the lyrics, I'd heard that in a documentary or something a long time ago.

I'm really not a Phil Collins fan in part because of stuff like this, he always came off to me as a weird, bitter guy.
Considering his first two solo albums were about his divorce, I say you definitely covered the bitter part!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure this "can't even hold a drumstick" question from reporters will hound him at EVERY press conference he does for this tour. Bruford was out of Yes for decades, with many well documented interviews addressing his exit, and yet he says it was the number one question at every press conference or interview he did promoting whatever his most recent, un-Yes project was.

Once again, lazy journalism. Recycling an old story with nothing new to add is clickbait. Drives traffic to their site. You read it and go, "Oh wait, he's not cured yet? Nothing changed since last year? Since two years ago?". No, nothing changed. And nothing will have changed next month when he's asked if he's drumming on this tour. Or in 4 months. I can see why Peart couldn't stand to deal with the press.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm sure this "can't even hold a drumstick" question from reporters will hound him at EVERY press conference he does for this tour. Bruford was out of Yes for decades, with many well documented interviews addressing his exit, and yet he says it was the number one question at every press conference or interview he did promoting whatever his most recent, un-Yes project was.

Once again, lazy journalism. Recycling an old story with nothing new to add is clickbait. Drives traffic to their site. You read it and go, "Oh wait, he's not cured yet? Nothing changed since last year? Since two years ago?". No, nothing changed. And nothing will have changed next month when he's asked if he's drumming on this tour. Or in 4 months. I can see why Peart couldn't stand to deal with the press.
THIS:
I can see why Peart couldn't stand to deal with the press

Gregdc

Reaction score
Not to sounds callous - Id be surprised if he even starts, let alone finishes to tour. I find touring absolutely gruelling and I'm 38 and in OK health. Poor Phil looks on his last legs.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
I'm both appalled,astounded, dumbfounded, loss(t) for words&speechless at the amount of negativity&poison,
Aimed at a human being musician or not is despicable have we REALLY lowered ourselves to become uncaring,unfeeling?.
What if it was your : father, brother, best freind, cousin, nephew in the exact/precise/same situation?,
Would you be as uncompassionate as you are about a famous well know music celebrity?.......,
Sad&sigh........ shame om some on you!!!!!.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Firstly, you can't compare a bunch of obsessed drummers with the general public. People are/were about to shell out money to see the band live in a few weeks, so I am sure it is worthwhile news to inform those people Phil is in very poor health, which might impact their enjoyment of the show.
Personally I knew he was quite unwell, I had NO IDEA he couldn't even hold a drum stick any more.
I agree with the above post, this thread just seems to have unleashed an unpleasant streak of anger and lack of empathy from several members.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grew up a huge Genesis and Phil fan, and still am. I personally don't want to see the show because the era they will highlight isn't my favorite, and I'm a fan of Duke and Abacab as well as the back catalogue. I thought - they should hang it up, but then again - why? Maybe if they were touring clubs for 2000 people I'd say yes, your time is over. But there's still a demand. A large demand. It just isn't my crowd. Keep going until you end up opening for puppet shows I say.
Though I probably am too young to grow up as a Genesis fan, I also really like Duke and Abacab as well as A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering. A pity they don't really play these songs on the later shows (as a pop group).
To (mis)quote another prog-turned-pop band:
I can feel no sense of measure
No illusion as we take
Refuge in young man pleasure
Breaking down the dream we made
Real

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed Phil's career. Not all people will dig every different incarnation of him, but I think each era of Phil's work displays its own kind of immense talent and creativity. It's too bad about his deteriorating health.

It's also too bad that so many threads on DFO have to devolve into nickpicking and internet battles for online opinion supremacy.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed Phil's career. Not all people will dig every different incarnation of him, but I think each era of Phil's work displays its own kind of immense talent and creativity. It's too bad about his deteriorating health.

It's also too bad that so many threads on DFO have to devolve into nickpicking and internet battles for online opinion supremacy.
Here here on both points !!!!!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's Steve Hackett at The Royal Festival Hall w/ Orchestra on one of the greatest prog songs ever written by Genesis. I'm posting this to show you younger guys a very close approximation of what Genesis was really all about in their prime. This is Gary O'Toole on drums who is great. But, Phil was spectacular when he did it way back in the 70's. This song disappeared from their shows around Abacab Tour and surfaced only in piece in a Medley. I don't think this is planned for the Tour this year.