Sad News on The Deteriorating Health of Phil Collins

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's Steve Hackett at The Royal Festival Hall w/ Orchestra on one of the greatest prog songs ever written by Genesis. I'm posting this to show you younger guys a very close approximation of what Genesis was really all about in their prime. This is Gary O'Toole on drums who is great. But, Phil was spectacular when he did it way back in the 70's. This song disappeared from their shows around Abacab Tour and surfaced only in piece in a Medley. I don't think this is planned for the Tour this year.

I love Graig Blundell too. saw him on the previous hackett tour. Amazing.

For that old Genesis vibe I prefer Hackett over the tribute bands (although not bad themselves though).

I do love how Daryll fits in so neatly with the later Genesis and has His own style with solo's, yet still keeping that Hackett vibe.

The medley was great to see in 2007.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a nice preview of the upcoming tour.
Nic is playing the only kit onstage ... and quite well, I might add.

For those that are still in the dark ... WAY back in 2018, Phil had made it known that he would be up for a Reunion tour ONLY if Nic was the drummer for the band. He had been suffering from nerve damage and such and knew it would be difficult to drum on the tour. He also loves working with his kid.

He also reiturated it in 2019.

This should give some insight into what it is most all of us knew to expect from this tour.
But for a few of you who missed the discussions a year ago ... and even three years ago.
It's a good bit of insight into Phil's condition.
It's been ongoing and much talked about for quite a while.
Hope this helps.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will not comment on wether or not this is "news".

But I will say that it is sad indeed. Like Chris Whitten said, I was aware he'd had serious health issues over the years, didn't know they'd gotten that serious...

I've never been a huge PC fan, although over the years I've liked different parts of his catalog, all for very different reasons.

My first ever exposure was the early Genesis albums, as they were a fixture in my parents' vynils collection and a regular soundtrack when I was growing up (born in 74...) particularly Selling England by the pound, wich although I'm not a huge prog afficionado, I consider to be a masterpiece.

I then listened to PC's more pop offerings from the early/mid 80's as they were coming out, totally unaware that this singer was the former drummer on those weird, highly cinematic albums from my childhood. And I took them for what they were: very well crafted pop tunes.

I've never been, nor will I ever be a Phil basher. I respect the guy for his tremendous multi-faceted talent... I wish them well on their tour even if I won't attend. I hope they can find a way to enjoy playing those dates and that the audience gets what they came and paid for. No matter what the reasons are that keeps this band going through with it (contractual obligations, financial needs, nostalgia, ego...)

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed Phil's career. Not all people will dig every different incarnation of him, but I think each era of Phil's work displays its own kind of immense talent and creativity. It's too bad about his deteriorating health.

It's also too bad that so many threads on DFO have to devolve into nickpicking and internet battles for online opinion supremacy.
First of all I agree with you, I love listening to Phil play. I also like a lot of his pop tracks I feel he's a great performer all around.

If anything I said above came off as being nitpicky, I'm sorry you took it that way. I have tremendous respect for Collins. I have nearly no respect at all for the news industry as a whole. My complaint is, as Mcjnic stated, the way this was reported. They spun the negative, not what was new in the story. Because, let's face it, there really wasn't anything new there. It was as Mcjnic said, lazy journalism. Because of my respect for Phil Collins, it angered me to the point I said something here, instead of just yelling at the clouds as I did when I saw the article on CNN last week. So, my apologies for derailing in any way, or making this an unpleasant thread for you to follow. Not my intent.

I hope the tour goes well and that all involved, band members and fans alike, enjoy the gigs.

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
Collins is one of my alltime favorit drummers. I still listen regularly to the first two Brand X albums and early Genesis, especially the Seconds Out live album. A huge influence. It saddens me that he has health issues. Truly one of the greats.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Collins is one of my alltime favorit drummers. I still listen regularly to the first two Brand X albums and early Genesis, especially the Seconds Out live album. A huge influence. It saddens me that he has health issues. Truly one of the greats.
IIRC it was mainly Chester on Seconds Out. TBH I prefer Phil's own drumming from the studio albums - but that further shows just how talented Phil is, and just makes his conditions (and many unjust bashings) really even more saddening.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Graig Blundell too. saw him on the previous hackett tour. Amazing.

For that old Genesis vibe I prefer Hackett over the tribute bands (although not bad themselves though).

I do love how Daryll fits in so neatly with the later Genesis and has His own style with solo's, yet still keeping that Hackett vibe.

The medley was great to see in 2007.
Craigs upcoming Hackett tour kit ..
4DA00F6C-3FDB-4A81-A9FB-09148376ECBB.jpeg

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of his drumming. Loved his playing and sound. Extremely talented/gifted drummer IMHO. I’ve been seeking out things that he did as a drummer here and there. the Tarzan soundtrack from the 90s is brilliant. And random stuff like with Frida.

I’ve also enjoyed many of his songs through the years. I wish him good health and happiness!

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All I learned was - don't get married.
To my understanding, one of the reason Genesis became a pop group was that Phil's wife threatened a divorce if Phil continued touring with Genesis. He tried but could not save his marriage (at one point he even considered leaving Genesis permanently and joining The Who - where Kenney Jones booked in ahead of him). Devastated, he wrote a song about it, Misunderstanding, which became a smash hit in some countries, so he proceeded to write a song about it in every following album (No Reply At All, That's All, In To Deep).

About the The Who tidbit - I actually feel that Phil could be a much better fit for The Who. Apart from being a worlds better player than Kenney or Zack (neither really had remotely the the same level of enthusiasm and dynamics to fill in dear boy Moonie's shoes), The Who was doing a bit of prog too (the Quadrophenia overture featured a lot of rhythmic and melodic shifts), so Phil could have filled right in (no pun intended), and maybe push it even further. And Phil and Pete could have been mutually supportive in their respectively hardships of failing marriage.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Totally agree. And even the pop stuff he played on was excellent.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the The Who tidbit - I actually feel that Phil could be a much better fit for The Who. Apart from being a worlds better player than Kenney or Zack (neither really had remotely the the same level of enthusiasm and dynamics to fill in dear boy Moonie's shoes), The Who was doing a bit of prog too (the Quadrophenia overture featured a lot of rhythmic and melodic shifts), so Phil could have filled right in (no pun intended), and maybe push it even further. And Phil and Pete could have been mutually supportive in their respectively hardships of failing marriage.
What an absolutely cool perspective.
I do agree with you.
Phil was such a phenomenal prog drummer that played with ferocity and depth.
That would have been a most interesting mix.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To my understanding, one of the reason Genesis became a pop group was that Phil's wife threatened a divorce if Phil continued touring with Genesis. He tried but could not save his marriage (at one point he even considered leaving Genesis permanently and joining The Who - where Kenney Jones booked in ahead of him). Devastated, he wrote a song about it, Misunderstanding, which became a smash hit in some countries, so he proceeded to write a song about it in every following album (No Reply At All, That's All, In To Deep).

Not to mention that his first two solo albums were almost exclusively about that divorce.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@Iristone Never knew about the Who. I think the Who would have been relevant through the 80s had Phil joined. Whilst a vastly different style than Moonie’s, I think he would have definitely kept the energy.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score

Unorthodox Behavior! Absolutely one of my all time favs....
and Nuclear Burn, ...just perfection

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's Phil on drums and backing vocals plus Phil's buddy Daryl Struemer with a rather unique guitar solo ...

Frida (ABBA)