Sad to see your hero take a back seat to someone else...

fibes3

Reaction score
Yes has been one of my favorite bands.
First saw them in Los Angeles at the Inglewood Forum for the Tormato album tour back in 76 or 77.
They were performing on a rotating circular stage. A fantastic show.

The last few times I saw them was in Lake county here in northern California in the early 2000's for the Magnification tour with Tom Breslin on keyboards.
Saw them a year later with Rick Wakeman. They were as solid as ever. Unfortunately I've had little desire to see them as they are a cover band of themselves, especially without Jon Anderson or Chris Squire. ( although Jeff Berlin did a nice job filling in for Tony Levin on the ABWH tour in 1989!)

I wish Alan White continued good health.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ya see this far too often, and it is sad. Not just with music, but that's life in the limelight.
Being in a "mega band " must be great, so much fun etc.....
As they all find out, the higher ya get, the harder the crash.
It's sad when musicians pass away during their prime, but in our memories, people like Bonham, Jimi, Moon, etc...... are stapled in our minds forever in their prime.
Double edged sword

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In honor of Alan... you are, and will always be, my hero and the biggest influence in a young drummer's life, even though I'm not so young anymore either. Thank you and God Bless!

78WhiteNorth&rotos.jpg

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never really looked at pics of Alan's Relayer tour kit but it surprised me! Looks like 2 bass drums put end to end... something Alan did before Alex Van Halen. The 2nd bass out front had 2 bass mounted timbales. Looks like a COW but it was 22/13/13/16/16, two timbales out front on the 2nd 22" bass, with a smaller, single mounted concert tom to the left of the timbales. There was also a smaller set of timbales over the floor toms. Always liked how Alan mixed it up. He even had an air compressor that pumped air into the shells to change the tone and characteristics. He was also one of the first pioneers of moog triggers. He was always very forward thinking.

tumblr_pabzl7oyX11umpjmwo1_400.jpg

relayer kit.jpg

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I look at this a bit differently. I hope Alan White recovers, but still I prefer an "original" member onstage if at all possible. These people are getting up there in years, and I applaud their dedication of continuing to play in the band.

It does remind me a tad of seeing the Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed tour) and Graham Edge playing drums with a ventilator on. Honestly, drums are a physical instrument. I love Alan White, but am I being blasphemous by calling John Lennon's Imagine (and on the song "Instant Karma") my favorites?!?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky to have seen them about 10 years ago with Howe, Squire, White, Anderson and Wakeman. Dream Theater opened for them. But the Yes songs made the evening for sure. And yeah, they played that lame version of that bluesy rendition of Roundabout, my only disappointment of the evening.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was a cool satellite broadcast of Yes back about 10-15 years ago in the theaters. They took questions and answers. It was nice. I actually haven't been following them much since Jon Anderson was basically fired. That didn't sit right with me.

I'm glad I saw them back when Going for The One and Tormato came out. They still had a bunch of fire going. 1st it was a great show, the next time around they were playing on a round stage on a turntable. That was great but a tad annoying, although we had great seats. And tickets back then were under $20. Too bad I missed them when the classic lineup with Buford was playing.

People like seeing their favorite bands from the past and pay too much money for it. I try to find newer bands and acts that are playing regionally that play for a better price, and they bring it.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yours is no disgrace to be so close to the edge , starship trooper . Roundabout now you should be seeking the companionship of all good people .

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would offer A Venture to say with all the Changes this band has been through, one could take it or Leave It, Dear Father. It Can Happen that Perpetual Change is inevitable, but, Hold On... they still have many Wonderous Stories to tell!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I look at this a bit differently. I hope Alan White recovers, but still I prefer an "original" member onstage if at all possible. These people are getting up there in years, and I applaud their dedication of continuing to play in the band.

It does remind me a tad of seeing the Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed tour) and Graham Edge playing drums with a ventilator on. Honestly, drums are a physical instrument. I love Alan White, but am I being blasphemous by calling John Lennon's Imagine (and on the song "Instant Karma") my favorites?!?
Since we are talking about Alan and being blasphemous. I have always loved his super creative (and HUGE groove) playing with Gary Wright. And I agree with the previous blaspheme, his playing with Lennon was fantastic, I always wonder why Alan's playing (other than Yes) never really gets mentioned much.

Those are some cool pix of his sets back in the day. I always thought that Bruford and Phil Collins (and Bill Ward) had some pretty unique setups, looks like we can add Alan to that list. Those wacky Brits!

I hope he can get healthier!
MSG

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Wow... I saw the big generator tour in 1988 and it was fantastic. I had no idea that Alan was like this now. I hope he recovers fully. I couldn't believe that was him playing off the the side like that. Sad...

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Without Jon and Chris, it is a sort of tribute band for me.

And that comes from a Yes/Alan White fan who grew up with them, but maybe it is because of that.

They should have stopped years ago. Just like Phil after his previous tour.

Glad that (as a relatively younger guy from 85), had the chance to see bands/artists at their final heyday tours like Genesis, Phil, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Paul Simon, David Gilmour. Sadly I never saw Floyd's ''Divison Bell Tour'' though.

Latest posts