Sad to see your hero take a back seat to someone else...

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jim Keltner on Dream Weaver , Alan White on Lennon's ' Imagine ' . He was a fairly anonymous first call studio guy for quite a while before touring in broad daylight .

Reaction score
He is on songs from the following records: "Extraction," "Footprint," "Heading Home," and "Who I Am." Namely the songs, "Voices," (playing double drums with Keltner,) "Keep Love In Your Soul," "Two Faced Man," "Get On The Right Road," and "I know A Place."

He also played on George Harrison's masterpiece "All Things Must Pass."

MSG

Last edited:

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He also played with Joe Cocker (again, double drumming with Keltner). He did the drums on Lennon's Instant Karma... you know the one with the funky offbeat fill. He played with George Harrison and played in Ginger Baker's Air Force. So, yeah, Alan was with a boat load of big name stars before the age of 20! Here's Instant Karma with Alan playing Premier drums... not Ludwig!

Last edited:

blownaway

Reaction score
He's back. Alan is offering drum lessons for one day at Don Bennett Drum Studio in Bellevue WA. I got the e-mail a few hours ago & booked the last one hour session! I'm looking forward to meeting Alan and learning what he's sharing. Wow!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
That's great. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
They should have waited for Jon to get well. Then Chris died. This is nothing more than Steve and Alan cashing in with a few low paid sidemen. To be honest, Jon, Rick and Trevor are probably a joy to see. All 5 should get together with tony levin on bass.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
That is sad to see.

Makes me wonder if the corporate machine will have band names become "franchises" and simply carry on indefinitely with whomever they wish. Foreigner is pretty much there already. I can totally see KISS being on tour in 2030, with touring pros, or hologram tech. What a sad state.

These remind me of the “ghost bands” like the Glenn Miller big band that carry on for decades with few of any original players. They are still booked.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's Alan playing with Bell & Arc. Nice soulful stuff! It's said that Bell & Arc toured with the Who before Alan joined Yes. At the end of the tour, Moon gave Alan a Gretsch DRB Special snare drum that is now owned by Don Bennett

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
He also played with Joe Cocker (again, double drumming with Keltner). He did the drums on Lennon's Instant Karma... you know the one with the funky offbeat fill. He played with George Harrison and played in Ginger Baker's Air Force. So, yeah, Alan was with a boat load of big name stars before the age of 20! Here's Instant Karma with Alan playing Premier drums... not Ludwig!

This is a real gem. What about big Mal Evans making pretending he is playing tambourine. Sure would have loved to read his tell all.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Oh MAN!!! I'm not buying it!
Yoko can see under that blindfold ... little cheater. She's not fooling anyone with that blind crochet thing.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh MAN!!! I'm not buying it!
Yoko can see under that blindfold ... little cheater. She's not fooling anyone with that blind crochet thing.
Yoko is clearly some manner of Witch and is likely capable of things we don’t understand.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
First saw them in Los Angeles at the Inglewood Forum for the Tormato album tour back in 76 or 77.
They were performing on a rotating circular stage. A fantastic show.
I saw that Tormato show with the revolving circle stage in Oakland, Ca. on October 8th 1978 a couple days after your Inglewood show!

The tour lasted from Oct 78 to June 79, actually.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is a great show as well. Gates of Delirium starts around 30:40.

Hours before shows an elevated mirror fell off of stage and sliced a kid in half.... show still went on. A co-workers class mate shot someone that he had an altercation with at the show, after words. Place was a hell hole, got condemned and torn down aprox a year after words.[
Seriously bad neighborhood.....worked there many times saw un speakable things ! Only slightly better than the "carjacking capitol of the universe" Newark NJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! {Howard Stern quote that got him banned from the city !!}

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Schellen did a decent job, especially for a song as complicated as Gates of Delirium. Just so hard to see this man, who is such a huge influence, obviously battling this thing called "old age". He'll still be my hero and has so much great material archived for posterity. Steve Howe's looking pretty scary but his boy recently died.... he was playing drums from time to time with them. Squire's gone. Anderson has recovered and sounds better than ever. Geoffe Downes better lay off the rich food or he wont be long for this earth either. Seems like the perfect moment for Wakeman, Anderson, Howe, Bruford and Tony Levin or Jeff Berlin to get something rolling and give us something that smacks of the Yes we all knew and loved.
Bruford is retired and given his past statements about Yes, I highly doubt any version of Yes will be enough for him to pull out of retirement. And good for him!

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is sad to see.

Makes me wonder if the corporate machine will have band names become "franchises" and simply carry on indefinitely with whomever they wish. Foreigner is pretty much there already. I can totally see KISS being on tour in 2030, with touring pros, or hologram tech. What a sad state.
Already started. Iron Butterfly and Blackfoot are 2 bands where a member owns the name but sends a band out on the road with said band name in spite of there being no original members.