Sakae Almighty Maple- should I buy it

Drumguy2

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an opportunity to purchase a Sakae Almighty Maple kit for 1800 usd. The sizes are .10 12 16 18 22. It’s a red black fade finish. Should I do it? Anyone have a g idea of their resale value? I would hate to lose a lot of money on this kit if I ever decided to trade out of it. Thanks.
1D0DA90A-A33C-468F-9DB3-370A241889E9.png

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$1,800 for a 5-piece seems like a good deal. Especially with that sweet 18” floor tom.

Resale value is tough to gauge, though, if that’s your major concern. Sakae made some incredible drums, and now that they’re out of business, kits like this one should appreciate in value based on the Sakae legacy and the quality of the instruments. BUT, just going by those two factors, Sakae shouldn’t have ever gone out of business in the first place, so... who knows? Name recognition (or lack thereof) and other things might affect resale value down the road.

Personally, if I could afford them, and if those were the sizes I wanted, I would probably get them.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was something of a Sakae expert back in the day and owned several of their kits. It's been a minute, though, and I could be wrong, but I have a suspicion that may actually be a Sakae Celestial kit and not an Almighty. I don't recall the Blood Burst finish being offered in the Almighty series. Feel free to PM me, especially if you have any better images, and I may be able to confirm for you.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . I'd say:

1. Some of the best drums ever made
2. One of the least-recognized brands ever made
3. The 18" tom is a big value booster
4. Not a killer deal, by any means, but certainly a fair asking price
5. Ability to resell the kit at that price: almost none, unless you happen to run across another drummer who knows the brand as well as you do.
6. Would I buy the kit at that price knowing that I'm likely to loose a few hundred upon resell? Ummmm . . . maybe
7. Would I buy the kit at that price with the expectation that I will keep it as my forever kit? Probably, but see #8
8. Would I work hard at getting the price reduced? Always. Yes. The seller is going to have just as much trouble selling the kit as you would if you decide to sell. Try to get it for $1500 and you will feel much better about it. There is a glut of kits right now and it's a buyer's market.

GeeDeeEmm

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the $1800 is a pretty fantastic price for 5 drums. I don't see many smaller boutique, lesser known brands getting less than this average for 5 drums. I wouldn't see the need for much haggling based on the quality and what these listed at.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . I'd say:

1. Some of the best drums ever made
2. One of the least-recognized brands ever made
3. The 18" tom is a big value booster
4. Not a killer deal, by any means, but certainly a fair asking price
5. Ability to resell the kit at that price: almost none, unless you happen to run across another drummer who knows the brand as well as you do.
6. Would I buy the kit at that price knowing that I'm likely to loose a few hundred upon resell? Ummmm . . . maybe
7. Would I buy the kit at that price with the expectation that I will keep it as my forever kit? Probably, but see #8
8. Would I work hard at getting the price reduced? Always. Yes. The seller is going to have just as much trouble selling the kit as you would if you decide to sell. Try to get it for $1500 and you will feel much better about it. There is a glut of kits right now and it's a buyer's market.

GeeDeeEmm
I agree with this and I would probably shoot for $1500 as well. As far as resale value goes, I look at it this way- my "new" kit is a late 90s Pearl set, so I'm not buying a kit to play tour or hold for a year and sell only to buy another kit. It doesn't factor in for me as much as the purchase price.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd think of these like I'd think of, say, Legend drums. Everyone says they were well-built and impressive, but no one today buys them for resale value-- they just aren't coveted by THAT many people. If it's what you want and will use and don't think you'll be selling them for a long time, go for it.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd think of these like I'd think of, say, Legend drums. Everyone says they were well-built and impressive, but no one today buys them for resale value-- they just aren't coveted by THAT many people. If it's what you want and will use and don't think you'll be selling them for a long time, go for it.
That's an excellent comparison. When I bought my Recording Customs, I had my choices narrowed down to the RCs or the Legends. The resell value is the one factor that made up my mind. The market for little-known but great drums is very limited. Sellers of those sets are forced to wait for the 1 in 1000 people who have ever heard of them and are willing to pay a bit more to get them. And, I'll guarantee you, that one person is forced to think about resell value, as well.

But, I would still love to have a set of Legends!

GeeDeeEmm