Sakae aluminum 6.5 x 14 snare

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I saw in another thread that these were for sale on Reverb and so it is. They are selling for $250, while Memphis Drum Shop has them for $599. https://reverb.com/item/25112670-sakae-14-x-6-5-seamless-aluminum-snare-drum

Drum Review said of the 5 x 14: "This isn’t some run of the mill aluminum snare drum. Sakae’s entry into the aluminum world is a little brighter and livelier than other comparable drums I’ve played. It’s surprisingly fat, full, and rangy. Under my hand, it was a little too excitable for low-volume play, but it simply killed backbeats. Rimshots played right over the middle just ate up entire rooms. They were monstrous. I think this drum would be a knockout for everything from tight, Meters-esque funk to modern country to fusion to rock. And it would make a great studio drum because it’s so easy to control. Don’t let its depth fool you. This snare has some real meat to it." https://drumgearreview.com/2015/08/17/sakae-14x5-5-aluminum-snare-drum-review/

Anyone have any experience with this snare? It seems like a good deal and includes free shipping.
SakaeSnare2.jpg

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one. Excellent seamless aluminum shell, with a great throw off. It's very open sounding. At $250, it's a major bargain. Same goes for the 5.5".

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
For that price, I would say get it.

Had a 6,5 x 14. Really nice (I’m a big fan of Sakae drums), excellent build, fat sound, sensitive, dry (it has a large air vent). Put wood hoops on it. Eventually sold it. Not the alu snare I was looking for. Got an Oriollo Phantom instead (more overtones). Also sold that one. Next up will be an Acrolite or Yamaha Recording Custom. Detours...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
For that price, I would say get it.

Had a 6,5 x 14. Really nice (I’m a big fan of Sakae drums), excellent build, fat sound, sensitive, dry (it has a large air vent). Put wood hoops on it. Eventually sold it. Not the alu snare I was looking for. Got an Oriollo Phantom instead (more overtones). Also sold that one. Next up will be an Acrolite or Yamaha Recording Custom. Detours...
Are you saying the Sakae was too dry for your taste, or too clean (too few overtones), or what was it missing that you hope to get from an alu drum?

stevil

Reaction score
I snagged one based on price and Sakae's reputation for quality. My personal favorite aluminum snare us the 6.5" Recording Custom. I hope this is similar, in part based on the shared DNA with Yamaha. But who knows? Safe bet at this price.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wrote that review you quoted. Really enjoyed that drum a lot. From what I recall, it was Supra-ish with a bit more metal-y zing. Seems like a great buy at $250.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I wrote that review you quoted. Really enjoyed that drum a lot. From what I recall, it was Supra-ish with a bit more metal-y zing. Seems like a great buy at $250.
I’d try one at 250 but couldn’t find one at that price.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with any seamless aluminum shell, if that's a sound you're looking for. The bridge lugs likely help open it up a bit. Slightly more open-sounding than my previous fave: the 8-lug George Way Aero, and definitely more open than a rubber gasketed Supra.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Are you saying the Sakae was too dry for your taste, or too clean (too few overtones), or what was it missing that you hope to get from an alu drum?
Hm, it was a bit too dry for my taste. I mean, an alu snare is (and should be?) dry. The Oriollo had much more life. Maybe I’m just used to Sakae as drums made out of wood. Maybe I don’t like aluminium snares at all and try to get the impossible out of them :)

I must admit that I didn’t give the Sakae the tweaking (head change, different snare wires) I normally give new snares, trying to dial in their range and character. It was just something in it that didn’t speak to me. And got it cheap so it felt OK to let it go.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought one a few weeks ago when the sale started. Just as great sounding as a Supraphonic (better strainer for sure). I think it does have fewer overtones, but super fat sounding. People should buy these up. $250 is a steal.

Oh, and it comes with a cool drum key.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought one a few weeks ago when the sale started. Just as great sounding as a Supraphonic (better strainer for sure). I think it does have fewer overtones, but super fat sounding. People should buy these up. $250 is a steal.

Oh, and it comes with a cool drum key.
Did you get the 6.5x14 or 5.5x14?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are killing me....lol.

Just tuned up my '68 Acrolite and was thinking- "I'd love to have this in a 6.5...."

Of course I just bought 3 cymbals and blew through whatever "extra" cash I had *sigh*

Then there are the guys replacing my roof....

Lol

Enjoy your Sakae's!

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with any seamless aluminum shell, if that's a sound you're looking for. The bridge lugs likely help open it up a bit. Slightly more open-sounding than my previous fave: the 8-lug George Way Aero, and definitely more open than a rubber gasketed Supra.

Based on sound clips, I really love the way the Aero sounds. Couldn't find one for sale at the right price. It's on my "future buy" list though.