Sakae aluminum 6.5 x 14 snare

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Several of you have placed orders and will likely post your feedback here shortly after your Sakae snare arrives. If possible, I'd really appreciate reading comments on how the Sakae snare compares to other aluminum snares you currently own, especially those (e.g. Ludwig Acrolite, INDe, Oriollo Phantom, etc.) that are often highly touted on this site.
I will at tomorrow nights gig. Didn’t have time at last nights show since we didn’t take a break and the songs were back to back.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are the Sakae aluminum snares susceptible to flaking over time, like Supras, because of issues with chroming aluminum?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are the Sakae aluminum snares susceptible to flaking over time, like Supras, because of issues with chroming aluminum?
I think that plating has come a long way since those early Ludwig days. Not even the Ludwig's flake anymore!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, I installed a coated reverse controlled dot on the Sakae and it added a nice lower fundamental to the snare tuned a tad over medium tension. A drummer friend came up to me after the gig and wanted to know about the snare and said it sounded fantastic. Oh, no micing but with my EAD for just a taste.

I’m playing today at an outdoor festival with it with my Broadkasters. Looking forward to it.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice Dan. Thanks for the quick review, and have a great gig today.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine showed up the other day. I haven't really had time to play with it yet. Anyone have any drum dial suggestions?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Thank goodness!

I was starting to weaken!
Just wait. If the form holds true, there will be some for sale here in short order. Guys will find something they want more and will need to thin the herd. Others will find the sound is too similar to something they already have in their arsenal. A few others may say, "Just not the sound I'm looking for right now...".

:toothy7:

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just wait. If the form holds true, there will be some for sale here in short order. Guys will find something they want more and will need to thin the herd. Others will find the sound is too similar to something they already have in their arsenal. A few others may say, "Just not the sound I'm looking for right now...".

:toothy7:
True, but all the secondary sellers will keep the super cool drum key it came with.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am really liking this 6.5x14 snare drum. It has that nice aluminum fatness, but has a bit more spread with the snare response. I currently have an Aquarian Hi-Energy head on it and it is super FAT city. GREAT drum for $250

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I have one of those Aquarian heads. I’ll have to check it out.

drumhead

Jer-ry! Jer-ry!
Reaction score
Looks like the 6.5s are gone but they still have 5.5".
There were three listed Monday night. I decided I wanted one Tuesday and by the time I got online Wednesday they were gone. Damn!!!! If anyone resells, hit me up please.

Latest posts