Sakae Celestial drums

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sakae Celestial drums are some of the best I have ever played. I think they well put together works of art. Blah, hyperbole. No seriously if someone can find a set buy him or her, as Im almost sure that Sakae is out of business. I like them better than a Yamaha Phx. I think they are Sakes version of the Phx. The drum build is some of the best I have ever seen. The Mappa Burl is beautifully book mashed and rivals and in some ways surpasses Sonors Veneer drums. Each drum as a different shell thickness, bearing edges and in some cases different bearing edges top and bottom. 6 ply shells 4 ply maple and 2 outer ply of bubinga. This is more for the people who are looking for info on these drums.

Attachments

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great drums, horrible resale. If you have them for sale, you are going to take a bath. You almost can't give them away at this point. I just bought a cool Sakae Stave Cyprus drum that I plan to play the snot out of, but I know that when I eventually sell it...it will deliver half of what I paid for it. Sakae just never caught on, regardless of the history with Yamaha. In terms of perception with the general public, Yamaha and Sakae simply didn't equate to being equal and it unfortunately led to their fairly quick demise. I think the last nail is in the coffin, sadly. Honestly, this really bums me out. All of that talent gone to waste...

P.S. Thanks for posting those pictures...those drums are just SO GORGEOUS!!!

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are not for sale. Good luck finding a set like mine. I have a 10 piece kit! Mappa burl with black chrome hardware. It was an endorsers kit. The resale value sucks right now but in 5 years they will be fine. People are waiting for a fire sale that wont happen. Not in thw flagship. These kits were taking a year to make. I have 22x16 18x14 16x16 (only 16 ever made) bass drums. 10x8 12x8 13x9 14x13 and 16x15 floor tom. Matching 6.5x 14 and 5.25x14 (only one made) bubinga snare drums.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Great drums, horrible resale. If you have them for sale, you are going to take a bath. You almost can't give them away at this point. I just bought a cool Sakae Stave Cyprus drum that I plan to play the snot out of, but I know that when I eventually sell it...it will deliver half of what I paid for it. Sakae just never caught on, regardless of the history with Yamaha. In terms of perception with the general public, Yamaha and Sakae simply didn't equate to being equal and it unfortunately led to their fairly quick demise. I think the last nail is in the coffin, sadly. Honestly, this really bums me out. All of that talent gone to waste...
You know what I would of done if I was at Sakae coming into the market like they did...... I would NEVER of STARTED with as many high end lines like they did.... Celestial, two different Almighty's..... another one with rings... All over the place right off the bat. That was the mistake IMO.

I would of started with ONE LINE...... at least for the first year. I would of put back into production that Yamaha Tour shell they made so long ago with the half Luan, half Birch that sounded so damgood. Make it with the same hardware they have on all the other kits, but with MANY COOL COLORS.... not too fancy so that it's just too expensive to produce. Maybe call it Sakae Tour. Price it just a hair above the Live Custom from Yamaha. BOOM ........ I think it would of went. AND PUT A RECTANGLE BADGE or something that is more business/conservative.

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree they made some corporate misteps along the way. But their drums are/were superior to their Yamaha counterparts. They were not business people. They took chances and i appreciate them for that. Few companies these days are taking chances on brand new drum designs. You see it out there with the smaller makers but the majors really don't anymore.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hazelwood7 said:
I agree they made some corporate misteps along the way. But their drums are/were superior to their Yamaha counterparts. They were not business people. They took chances and i appreciate them for that. Few companies these days are taking chances on brand new drum designs. You see it out there with the smaller makers but the majors really don't anymore.
I agree...I love the fact that they took chances to offer something different. I don't think that they had enough investment behind them to be able to break into the market long enough to survive the "lean" years. Sad, really... Those drums you have, Chris, are just outrageously gorgeous! Stunning in every way!

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's interesting (and humorous) to me is Sakae and Yamaha have very different, nearly diametrically opposed, approaches to building their "ultimate" flagship lines.

Yamaha PHX:
- put the hardest wood (Jatoba) ply in the center of the shell

- maintain the same uber-thick shell config for all drums, regardless of shell diameter
- rounder edges for smaller drums, sharper edges for larger drums and

Sakae Celestial:
- hardwood (Bubinga) at the bearing edge where the head contacts the drum
- shell thickness gradually increases as shell diameter increases
- sharper edges for smaller drums and rounder edges for larger drums

In my opinion, it's more a matter of marketing and brand perception - essentially which kool-aid you can convince folks to drink. Been there, done that with the PHX, survived to tell the cautionary tale.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Resale? My Sakae Almighty have become the studio kit. I'm recording an album with it now and they're killing it. I'll write off the kit cost in depreciation and I seriously think these drums will still look and sound great in 200 years. So much care and crafting in the build. Not on my sale list - I'd sell my Rogers before those.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hazelwood7 said:
These kits were taking a year to make.
If it is taking Sakae one year to build a drum set perhaps that is one of their problems.

Groov-E

Reaction score
Hazelwood7 said:
But their drums are/were superior to their Yamaha counterparts.
That is one strong affirmation right there.

Would you care to elaborate ?

To me, buying a Sakae is like buying a Saab or a Saturn.

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Groov-E said:

Ouch,

This family has been building drums for 100 plus years. Past 40 years putting Yamaha drums on the map. These drums were their opportunity to show what direction they what take drum building if they had a chance. They made some of the finest crafted drums. They made some of the best sounding drums I ever heard. Does this all come down to resale for everyone on this board? Play what you want. I am thrilled to have their best work. Sadly their is few Japanese drum builders left.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Groov-E said:

And buying Mapex is like buying Mazda or Maserati? So that the beginning of words would rime. :D

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, who builds Yamahas PHX stuff? Maybe Im wrong, but arent those still built in Japan? Presumably not Sakae, but does anyone know who?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dogmanaut said:
Hey, who builds Yamahas PHX stuff? Maybe Im wrong, but arent those still built in Japan? Presumably not Sakae, but does anyone know who?
From Yamaha :

" PHX series is still hand made by only 3 craftsman in our Yamaha Music Craft facility in Hamamatsu Japan"

R

RickP

dogmanaut said:
They are built in Yamaha's Hammamatsu Japan plant by just three craftsman. Previously they would build kits for their high end Endorsers here as well as some prototypes.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great sounding drums! I would describe that as a perfect drumsound. Very nice playing too! Thanks for posting.