Sakae Closeouts - NOS

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
I just received the X-Caliber single pedal last night. Overall impressions are that it's an excellent pedal, especially at $79.99. I haven't had a chance to gig with it yet, but I will. (Pics below came from a Japanese website I found.)

View attachment 430596

Some observations:

It's a solidly built, heavy duty pedal.

View attachment 430597

Not quite a long board, but certainly longer than my DW 5000 pedal.

View attachment 430599

Very smooth, quiet action. Easily adjustable. And yes, it does have independent footboard and beater adjustment, though footboard height adjustment is indirect: there are ratchet-style teeth underneath the board, which allow desired placement of the chain, effectively raising or lowering footboard height.

View attachment 430600

The double chain feels solid, with a nicely formed channel to travel within. The channel is also perfect for strap conversion, which I plan to do.

View attachment 430612

It also comes with a well made, walled nylon bag embossed with the Sakae logo. Inside, there is a velcro strap and a sewn in cup for storing the beater separate from the pedal itself (though, I'll likely just keep the beater attached).

View attachment 430601

In all, this pedal is a real bargain. While it won't likely replace my Tama Dyna-Sync anytime soon, it is a worthy secondary pedal. I had read on the DrumGearReview site that the pedal itself was heavy, which was a definite turn off for me. But in actuality, I find it no heavier than my mid-'90s single chain DW 5000. I'm very pleased with this guy, and highly recommend anyone on the fence about it to get one while you still can. At $80 shipped, it is a no-brainer.
I got one too. Finally got around to putting on a kit today. When I tightened the drum to the wood hoop, the t rod that is used to tighten it causes the pedal to raise up at an angle. Given that there are myriad adjustments to this pedal, any idea what I'm missing here? The pedal is very well made and the price is as you say. (No Brainer)

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The crowd has spoken, DGR. Now you kind of have to do it — and then post a pic with all the drums set up in one massive double-bass kit, of course.
Two is not a crowd man give me some space!!!

Also, things have changed since I posted my last reply and there's a (very small) chance my wife and I are about to get life changing news, so all acquisition plans are on hold.

Thank you for your encouragement, though. Very happy to know i have a bad decision support group available when needed. ❤

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got one too. Finally got around to putting on a kit today. When I tightened the drum to the wood hoop, the t rod that is used to tighten it causes the pedal to raise up at an angle. Given that there are myriad adjustments to this pedal, any idea what I'm missing here? The pedal is very well made and the price is as you say. (No Brainer)
It sounds like you might be mounting it off center. The hoop clamp on this pedal is offset quite a bit to accommodate the beater hitting the head dead center. Try sliding the pedal to the left on your hoop and tighten. That should level it out.

f87c52c277d2844e9144706a745ca8fc07d35b.jpg

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two is not a crowd man give me some space!!!

Also, things have changed since I posted my last reply and there's a (very small) chance my wife and I are about to get life changing news, so all acquisition plans are on hold.

Thank you for your encouragement, though. Very happy to know i have a bad decision support group available when needed. ❤
Three’s a crowd. Do it. Until I read the last part of your post.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've admired the Trilogy series for several years now, but always backed off from purchase (came close several times). But I just couldn't resist at these prices. I just grabbed these - scheduled to arrive Saturday. 22/12/14/16 w/ matching 6.5 snare. Now I've got some selling to do...

Sakae Trilogy 4pc Drum Set - Green Sparkle 1.jpg
Sakae Trilogy 14x6.5 Snare Drum - Green Sparkle 1.jpg

sammy123

Reaction score
Congratulations! Those look amazing and sound amazing from the demos I've heard.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would the trilogy snares be good for contemporary Christian and some rock/pop? Nothing heavy. I've heard they're on the quiet side. I don't need a new snare especially with a newborn, but mannnnnn these are temping

rstange1

Reaction score
I've admired the Trilogy series for several years now, but always backed off from purchase (came close several times). But I just couldn't resist at these prices. I just grabbed these - scheduled to arrive Saturday. 22/12/14/16 w/ matching 6.5 snare. Now I've got some selling to do...
Nice! What a beautiful setup. Are you buying some hardware too?

If they had a Bop kit at these prices I don't think I could resist. If it were Psychedelic Red I know I couldn't...

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice! What a beautiful setup. Are you buying some hardware too?
Thanks! Actually, I already own a bunch of Sakae hardware - both the flat base 20 Series stands and single braced 200 Series stands - cymbal (boom and straight), snare and hi hat. Most were purchased through Korg USA's Reverb outlet "Gear Zone Music" over the last couple of years. I can attest that they are all of top-notch Japanese quality, both attractive and functional. Easily on par with Yamaha's offerings, if not better in some regards.

Last edited:

rstange1

Reaction score
You've probably seen this, but I'll post anyway since it is so close to your new kit in action: https://drumgearreview.com/2015/04/09/sakae-trilogy-series-drums-review/

Great review and accompanying video. :)

sammy123

Reaction score
Got my Trilogy 6.5x14 tonight. Played it a bit after a quick tune. Sounds good. Definitely has the odor that someone pointed out in another thread. Lol. I'm excited to do a better tuning job and really digging in.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 433660 View attachment 433661
Yes! Congratualtions man. I've had mine for about 3 years now and I love them every time I sit down. I hope your experience is as good as mine.

Would the trilogy snares be good for contemporary Christian and some rock/pop? Nothing heavy. I've heard they're on the quiet side. I don't need a new snare especially with a newborn, but mannnnnn these are temping
So, based on the stuff I've seen you mention really loving on here - solid metals and really dense woods like rosewood - I'm not sure I'd recommend a Trilogy snare. They're on the mellower and drier side. 1.6mm rims and a thin shell don't add up to a ton of crack or high end presence.

It's not going to sound like a bag of laundry or anything. It'll be a great sounding drum, but I don't think I'd suggest it for higher volume stuff with lots of rimshotted backbeats. There are more suitable options and I think you own a couple of them.

You've probably seen this, but I'll post anyway since it is so close to your new kit in action: https://drumgearreview.com/2015/04/09/sakae-trilogy-series-drums-review/

Great review and accompanying video. :)
Thank you!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes! Congratualtions man. I've had mine for about 3 years now and I love them every time I sit down. I hope your experience is as good as mine.

So, based on the stuff I've seen you mention really loving on here - solid metals and really dense woods like rosewood - I'm not sure I'd recommend a Trilogy snare. They're on the mellower and drier side. 1.6mm rims and a thin shell don't add up to a ton of crack or high end presence.

It's not going to sound like a bag of laundry or anything. It'll be a great sounding drum, but I don't think I'd suggest it for higher volume stuff with lots of rimshotted backbeats. There are more suitable options and I think you own a couple of them.

Thank you!
Just the recommendation I needed. Thank you!

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So... does anyone happen to know, is this it? Or will there be more things added in the coming days/weeks? I was really hoping to see another bubinga snare go up.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Latest posts