SAKAE DRUMS 2019 RE-START

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well.. looks like it's official.. China or Taiwan made I assume.. Korg running the show I guess? First model called SAKAE EVOLVED MAPLE..under brand name SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE.
Identical to previous models. Links below

Korg Co., Ltd. took over the trademark of the former SAKAE Drums at the NAMM show held on January 24 (local time) in 2019, USA / Anaheim, and launched "SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE PROJECT BY KORG"
Based on the high-end and sophisticated former SAKAE Drums lineup, Korg will develop and manufacture new products on its own. Both products are designed based in Osaka, and we are planning drum kits, kick pedals, cajón and so on.
Please look forward to the deployment of "SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE PROJECT BY KORG" in the future.

You might have to translate if it's not already : https://www.korg.com/jp/news/2019/0125/

Here are the kit picks : https://www.instagram.com/shun_tsuji/

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good for them. Too much a part of drum history for them to give it up.

Dan

R

RickP

I notice they say “designed in Osaka” but not where they are manufactured . Not that if really matters to me but it does to some people that want a Japanese manufactured Sakae Kit .

Groov-E

Reaction score
It is often argued on this board the reason for their demise was a too broad and unsustainable offering, especially in the higher-end segment.

Maybe a slower new start will help them establish good foundations then diversifying will be beneficial, as long as it is not just a name-buying scheme.

Sakae deserves better.

Best of luck in any case !

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I notice they say “designed in Osaka” but not where they are manufactured . Not that if really matters to me but it does to some people that want a Japanese manufactured Sakae Kit .

Which brings question #1: are their prices going to be commensurate with Chinese labor and product? If not, good luck with that!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can bet your bottom dollar that the Sakae offerings, no matter where they are manufactured, will be of the first quality in whatever price range they plan to compete. Even the preliminary NAMM show kit just oozes the typical Sakae class.

The hurdle, in my opinion, will be marketing. Sakae, in the eyes of drummers who know, and especially among Yamaha fans, needs no introduction or marketing hype. That's not the case with the casual drummer or most prospective drum buyers. To them, it's just another drum set with an Asian-sounding name.

The big chains - and brick-n-mortar stores - will need to do some serious training and education of their salesmen in order to transfer the enthusiasm that Sakai fans feel for the brand to the potential buyers. If Sakai decides to compete within the well-established pricing tiers of the other major brands, buyers will need a significant incentive to choose Sakai drums over the well-known (and trusted) brands that now dominate the market.

Here's hoping that Sakai will be successful in their new incarnation. We can certainly be sure of one thing: Korg is not an amateur when it comes to developing advanced, competitively-priced musical instruments. A historic drum manufacturer could do much worse than that kind of association.

GeeDeeEmm

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new drums won't be made on the machinery we gifted Sakae at the Osaka factory so no staggered diagonal seam, Air Seal System.

Hi,
How do you know that? Does Sakae still have the equipment that Yamaha gave them or did they sell it? Hoping to drums made in the Osaka plant.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah drumminhands works for Yamaha so I think he has pretty good information on the subject

S

skinsman

Sorry, but I just see this as a last ditch cpr move.
My guess would be that Korg originally had money involved and is throwing more in with them having more controls in place.
Not sure how Korg is better at marketing drums ....scratching my head on that one. It always astounds me when entities with money think that is all you need. Especially drums. Fickle buyers.
For my two cents, why would I take a several thousand dollar chance on a failed company when I can get superb equipment from ANY of the titans? DW, Lud. Sonor, Yamaha, Pearl are all making killer high end gear.
Pass.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think what Jim is saying is the drums will not be made in Osaka.
Yeah that is a given as the badge of that new series says.. "Designed in Osaka".. as opposed to the previous badge.. "Handmade in Japan".

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Hey I owned a Sakae Trilogy made in 2014.

I played them every day for about 3 years in my house and rarely took them to a gig. Mostly alone and twice a week with a band.

They looked really nice and sounded great, that's what I expected since I payed so damn much for them.

It turned out that they were poorly made and not worth the money. The bass drum spurs used the same mount that the floor tom used, so the hardware was mounted horizontally and caused the shell to warp and bend badly. This was also causing the re ring to delaminate on the bottom of the bass drum.

I purchased these in Canada and korg told me to f off.

Sold the kit and purchased a Ludwig and I am so much happier with it.