SAKAE DRUMS 2019 RE-START

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey I owned a Sakae Trilogy made in 2014.

I played them every day for about 3 years in my house and rarely took them to a gig. Mostly alone and twice a week with a band.

They looked really nice and sounded great, that's what I expected since I payed so damn much for them.

It turned out that they were poorly made and not worth the money. The bass drum spurs used the same mount that the floor tom used, so the hardware was mounted horizontally and caused the shell to warp and bend badly. This was also causing the re ring to delaminate on the bottom of the bass drum.

I purchased these in Canada and korg told me to f off.

Sold the kit and purchased a Ludwig and I am so much happier with it.

Crap. What? Where the did shell warp and bend? I've got a Trilogy kit now and hadn't heard about this problem before.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Trilogy kits had very thin shells and there's no tom mount for that reason. How does a bass drum warp by itself? I know quite a few Trilogy players (including Ash Soan) who said the build quality was incredible. Certainly better than Ludwig en masse. Should make no difference how the leg mount is positioned if the shell is so light should it?

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Just to be clear I kept very good care of this kit. You may not like to hear how poorly made sakae drums are, this is what happened to me.

There the spurs attach to the bass drum, check the insides of your bass drum where the spurs attatch. Mine was warping around the hardware.

The re ring delamination is pretty easy to check, just look at all your bearing edges. Happened particularly badly on the bass drum, but was happening to all 3 drums.

They look good and sound good, but my set was built poorly. I really do hope that your kit doesn't have this flaw

Ash Soan moved on to someone else who would pay him, just like Kareem Riggins.

My Luds look as good, sound better, and you could toss them down a flight of stairs before playing them and they would be just fine

Last edited:

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Interesting info... Can you elaborate a little on Korg's behavior ? They just basically said tough luck ? Or sorry it's out of warranty or what ?
Yeah basically just tough luck. They didn't literally tell me to f off. They said they only warranty products they have in stock and could only replace my rack tom. So any Sakae Japan stuff has no warranty any more.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is interesting, as typically (typically mind you) when you buy a company, you not only assume their assists but to some pre determined limit, thier libilites as well. I'm sorry you got caught outside those lines. That really does stink.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah basically just tough luck. They didn't literally tell me to f off. They said they only warranty products they have in stock and could only replace my rack tom. So any Sakae Japan stuff has no warranty any more.
Thanks for sharing all of your info and experience.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have pics of this incident as I'm sure you tried to use for warranty work?

The situation sounds extremely odd and unlike anything I've heard from Korg or Sakae. My Trilogy kit is impeccably made.
In cars, we have a saying:
“Everybody makes a bad one sometime.”

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Anyways I didn't want to turn this into bashing Sakae, I kept my aluminum snare drum and I still think it's awesome.

I think my point was more that from a buyer's perspective, I can see why things didn't work out for the obvious reasons and on top of that, I didn't get any support from their distributor Korg and for that I hold them a bit responsible for taking Sakae down.

I really hope Korg does a better job with the Sakae name this time around

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry you had a bad experience with your kit. I can only assume it was a rarity. My Trilogy kit was top notch in build and fortunately have had no issues, really love those drums.

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Osaka-made Almighty range had similar badges to these, and I always thought they looked cheap and crappy.

Latest posts