SAKAE DRUMS 2019 RE-START

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Osaka-made Almighty range had similar badges to these, and I always thought they looked cheap and crappy.
They look unfortunately similar to Ludwig Accent badges, and now the name sounds like another Ludwig line, the Evolution Maple.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well.. looks like it's official.. China or Taiwan made I assume.. Korg running the show I guess? First model called SAKAE EVOLVED MAPLE..under brand name SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE.
Identical to previous models. Links below

Korg Co., Ltd. took over the trademark of the former SAKAE Drums at the NAMM show held on January 24 (local time) in 2019, USA / Anaheim, and launched "SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE PROJECT BY KORG"
Based on the high-end and sophisticated former SAKAE Drums lineup, Korg will develop and manufacture new products on its own. Both products are designed based in Osaka, and we are planning drum kits, kick pedals, cajón and so on.
Please look forward to the deployment of "SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE PROJECT BY KORG" in the future.

You might have to translate if it's not already : https://www.korg.com/jp/news/2019/0125/

Here are the kit picks : https://www.instagram.com/shun_tsuji/
Thanks for the update Rhyma Hop.
If they bring back the "Trilogy" kits that'll be really great. if they screw it up, it'll be really sad.
...time will tell I suppose, but glad to hear someone's trying to keep Sakae alive.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hey I owned a Sakae Trilogy made in 2014.

I played them every day for about 3 years in my house and rarely took them to a gig. Mostly alone and twice a week with a band.

They looked really nice and sounded great, that's what I expected since I payed so damn much for them.

It turned out that they were poorly made and not worth the money. The bass drum spurs used the same mount that the floor tom used, so the hardware was mounted horizontally and caused the shell to warp and bend badly. This was also causing the re ring to delaminate on the bottom of the bass drum.

I purchased these in Canada and korg told me to f off.

Sold the kit and purchased a Ludwig and I am so much happier with it.
One of the problem with really thin shells.
That kit would've been better off with hoop mounted spurs.

drumnhands

Reaction score
Hi,
How do you know that? Does Sakae still have the equipment that Yamaha gave them or did they sell it? Hoping to drums made in the Osaka plant.
The new Sakae drums are made in Taiwan. There's nothing wrong with that, we make drums in Taiwan. But they don't have the Air Seal System technology. I had heard that all the machines we gifted Sakae have been sold off, but I can't confirm that.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new Sakae drums are made in Taiwan. There's nothing wrong with that, we make drums in Taiwan. But they don't have the Air Seal System technology. I had heard that all the machines we gifted Sakae have been sold off, but I can't confirm that.
Hey Jim thanks for stopping in here. You are one of the only mfg reps who actually communicates with the buying public on the forums so that's very cool of you.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jim thanks for stopping in here. You are one of the only mfg reps who actually communicates with the buying public on the forums so that's very cool of you.
Here, here!

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Interesting. What Trilogy finish is that? Trilogy drums have a wrap finish and that doesn’t look like a wrap.
Mint Oyester Pearl

I'm not lying, that's definitely a trilogy in the picture

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well.. looks like it's official.. China or Taiwan made I assume.. Korg running the show I guess? First model called SAKAE EVOLVED MAPLE..under brand name SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE.
Identical to previous models. Links below

Korg Co., Ltd. took over the trademark of the former SAKAE Drums at the NAMM show held on January 24 (local time) in 2019, USA / Anaheim, and launched "SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE PROJECT BY KORG"
Based on the high-end and sophisticated former SAKAE Drums lineup, Korg will develop and manufacture new products on its own. Both products are designed based in Osaka, and we are planning drum kits, kick pedals, cajón and so on.
Please look forward to the deployment of "SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE PROJECT BY KORG" in the future.

You might have to translate if it's not already : https://www.korg.com/jp/news/2019/0125/

Here are the kit picks : https://www.instagram.com/shun_tsuji/
Might not be available in the US (yet).
I went to the Japanese page in the link and if you scroll all the way down, there's an icon in the lower right corner that says "Choose Country". The flag of Japan may be next to it.
Click on it and you're taken to a separate page that lists every country in the world.
Once again, scroll to the bottom and click on the US flag.
That will take you to Korg's US site.
In the lower left side, you'll see "News". Click on it and its every announcement that's been made this year, as it pertains to Korg's US concerns.
I see no mention of Sakae drums.
…..we may have to wait a bit in the US.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
It is often argued on this board the reason for their demise was a too broad and unsustainable offering, especially in the higher-end segment.

Maybe a slower new start will help them establish good foundations then diversifying will be beneficial, as long as it is not just a name-buying scheme.

Sakae deserves better.

Best of luck in any case !
If they're smart, they'll start off with Trilogy reissues.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
My point is, no announcement on the US site. Maybe I should've written that we'll have to wait A LITTLE LONGER, than everyone else.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts