Sakae hi hat stand from DCP - am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and confirmations everyone. I heard back from DCP today - the support person said he showed the added photos to his manager and neither of them see nothing wrong with this. So, I took the level check advice and sent them the new photos attached. If they still come back and say the stand is not bent.... I’ll probably have to just laugh.
Pictures sometimes need to draw a picture.

When I swore off eBay, I got dinged HARD on a motorcycle part I had sold on there because I didn’t take advantage of being able to post multiple pic. The buyer took a pic of his part and eBay ruled in his favor.

The level would have convinced me. And it looks like they made good.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I recently purchased a long overdue needed Sakae flat base cymbal stand and hi hat stand from Drum Center of Portsmouth. They had a good blow out sale on them. After receiving I opened and setup the cymbal stand first and all is perfect. A nice stand for the sale price - I really like it. A bit heavier than other flat base stands, but I’m actually ok with that.

When I opened up the hi hat stand and started setting it up I noticed that the main tube was projecting up at an angle - maybe somewhere between 5 ~ 10 degrees. I looked over the base of the stand well but didn’t see anything bent, but what could possibly be one of the leg braces assembled backwards. Nonetheless, the stand is not straight, which will result in the cymbals not sitting parallel to the floor. So I contacted DCP and explained the situation. They replied a couple days later requesting photos of the stand. Certainly I took many photos and sent them along. A few more days go by and I receive a reply asking if the stand is not functioning. So, I reply back again explaining this is a brand new stand thats main tube is crooked. I explained that in this condition the cymbals will also be sitting at this relative angle and will not be parallel to the floor. During this reply I sent additional photos as well as a good straight stand for comparison explaining that I do not want a refund, but just want to exchange it for another stand that is not defective. Another few days go by. I receive another email stating that they do not see anything out of normal Canopus standards (remember this is a Sakae stand), and that perhaps the stand is on carpet which is causing the crookedness. They said that with the photos given to them that they see nothing wrong with the stand. So, I sent them more photos (the ones attached here) which are clearly on a hard surface floor and the crooked main tube still present - along next to another good cymbal stand for comparison so they could see the angle of the hi hat stand relative to a straight stand... again. Nothing...

So, it appears they are not willing to exchange this stand or credit me for another. Am I wrong here? Is playing on crooked hi hat stands acceptable? It’s a brand new product, right out of the box. The upper tube is still sealed in its packaging as I didn’t want to open it once I noticed the lower portion was defective. I don’t think I’m being too picky - I just expected the stand to be straight. Should this be acceptable? Sorry for the rant but I’m a bit upset with this situation.
I’ve been dealing with Shane at DCP for years and have never had an issue. I would definitely get with him.

lougrassi

Reaction score
I recently purchased a long overdue needed Sakae flat base cymbal stand and hi hat stand from Drum Center of Portsmouth. They had a good blow out sale on them. After receiving I opened and setup the cymbal stand first and all is perfect. A nice stand for the sale price - I really like it. A bit heavier than other flat base stands, but I’m actually ok with that.

When I opened up the hi hat stand and started setting it up I noticed that the main tube was projecting up at an angle - maybe somewhere between 5 ~ 10 degrees. I looked over the base of the stand well but didn’t see anything bent, but what could possibly be one of the leg braces assembled backwards. Nonetheless, the stand is not straight, which will result in the cymbals not sitting parallel to the floor. So I contacted DCP and explained the situation. They replied a couple days later requesting photos of the stand. Certainly I took many photos and sent them along. A few more days go by and I receive a reply asking if the stand is not functioning. So, I reply back again explaining this is a brand new stand thats main tube is crooked. I explained that in this condition the cymbals will also be sitting at this relative angle and will not be parallel to the floor. During this reply I sent additional photos as well as a good straight stand for comparison explaining that I do not want a refund, but just want to exchange it for another stand that is not defective. Another few days go by. I receive another email stating that they do not see anything out of normal Canopus standards (remember this is a Sakae stand), and that perhaps the stand is on carpet which is causing the crookedness. They said that with the photos given to them that they see nothing wrong with the stand. So, I sent them more photos (the ones attached here) which are clearly on a hard surface floor and the crooked main tube still present - along next to another good cymbal stand for comparison so they could see the angle of the hi hat stand relative to a straight stand... again. Nothing...

So, it appears they are not willing to exchange this stand or credit me for another. Am I wrong here? Is playing on crooked hi hat stands acceptable? It’s a brand new product, right out of the box. The upper tube is still sealed in its packaging as I didn’t want to open it once I noticed the lower portion was defective. I don’t think I’m being too picky - I just expected the stand to be straight. Should this be acceptable? Sorry for the rant but I’m a bit upset with this situation.
I say stop asking and demand an exchange or refund. If you paid by credit card and they still refuse file a grievance with your credit card company. They will get your money back. You can also let them know you outed them on drum forum and the support you are getting here. Good luck.

Fletch

Reaction score
They need to stand behind this product 100%. No questions, you proved without a doubt there is an issue. Shame on them!

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Nothing subjective about that, that sucker’s clearly bent! I’m 1000% on your side. I would just “power dial“ DCP until they do the right thing!!!!!

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
That's just Wrong / I'd be raising holy hell to get a replacement , or refund....Raise a little Hell...

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Is it the leg or the tube? Or perhaps one of the rubber feet... just for your edification this is the third complaint involving DCP I’ve come across this past year!!!

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Shame on DCP! They gave you crap and won't atone for it! I understand that all of us look to get what we pay for be it high, mid or low end gear. Especially when bucks are limited. But this is outrageous, angering and just wrong. This is nothing for them to fix. They don't understand that you could be their killer customer in their future. Dis Company Pukes. Not everyone is located near a seller and most have to order their gear. But this? It's crap business. Repeat customers are the future of any business. DCP just drove a bunch of folks to go elsewhere. For what? Not fixing a lousy lemon product? If DCP were a medical service, they'd be in the business of implanting tumors, cataracts and hemorrhoids!
AMEN Cruddola!!!

Fess

Reaction score
The fact that they are just a couple of people there makes it worse. It’s not like some anonymous new guy in the basement didn’t care about the product, it was one or more of the regulars looking at it, discussing it and deciding to not do the right thing.
It was not until the problem was made public that they felt they had to rectify the situation.
Shame on them

VKT Radiostar

Reaction score

Hopefully you paid with a credit card. Report it to them and grieve the case.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Good to see people have each others back here, and I'm not saying this to be a dick, but, does anyone go through posts to see if anything is resolved before getting "mad" and taking the time to type half a paragraph anymore??

...way back in post #43 which was almost 2 days ago now.

...as I spent time to bold and italic things hahahaha!!!

blueingreen

Reaction score
I have bought a lot of Sakae drums (three different sets, a bunch of stands, etc...) from DCP. I also bought a stand alone Sakae bass drum that they had that had an error in the description, stating that it included the tom mount. But the picture did not show that. I called them, we discussed and they sent me the tom mount for no additional charge. I am 100% satisfied with them, and look forward to getting more drums and gear from them. They do have a lot of transactions, and the above one was not stellar, but I think that was a rare exception, and on the whole, I think they are a fantastic drum shop!

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was posting about the problem before they resolved it.
All that proves is that he was posting about the problem before they resolved it.
You're assuming that they didn't want to deal with the problem before it went public. That's your guess, and that's fine, but that doesn't make it a fact.

kzoosteve

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thankful the DCP's, Memphis Drum, Forks, etc... still exist with the world and markets changing.....I'll keep giving the support to these guys as well as the independent builders out there to preserve the diversity we have now.....I have nightmares of using GC as my go-to for drum needs

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.