Salem St. Drum Co. Custom stave snares.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Salem St. Drum Co. specializes in custom stave drums. Each drum is unique and crafted with passion and integrity. If you have ever wanted a true custom snare Salem St. Drum Co. can make it happen. For a quote contact me via email jbbllc@yahoo.com or call me (252) 245-6784. Please call during business hours. M-F 10-5 EST

Attachments

R

RickP

This is a completely unsolicited and totally biased post, so be forewarned.

I purchased the pictured 6 x 14 walnut stave snare drum from Salem Street drums. I will report my findings below:
The entire purchase process from Britt was a pleasure- he sent construction pics and kept me apprised of the status constantly. Outstanding Customer Service.

The snare arrived very well packed.
Britt sent both my preferred batter head (Evans 360 Reverse Power Center) and he had also included an Evans 360
HD Dry batter head ( his recommended head). The snare side is an Evans 360 Hazy 300.
Trick strainer, Puresound Equalizer snares and his standard single point tube lugs and triple flange hoops.

I fully intended to swap Britt's recommended batter head (HD Dry) out as soon as I received the drum. I tried the snare with this head and it truly is a great batter head for this snare drum. It cut just the perfect amount of ring and high end harmonics, yet still retained the big meaty, full sound of this snare drum.

This particular snare drum has a big tuning range, very crisp and articulate and doesn't choke when played with force. I could get that modern crack sound or big fat backbeat with just a few turns of the key. One thing I found really interesting was how great stick response was all over the head . Some drums have a bit less stick response right in the center of the head and the Salem Street drum was consistent across the whole head.

The bearing edges and satin gloss finish were very well done, the outer finish looked almost like a veneer as you could not see these seams of the staves easily with a cursory glance. Britt did a great job of book matching the staves. This is one of the most beautiful and best sounding wood snares I have ever owned or played.

Now to find some more dough for maybe a Birdseye maple or Black Cherry snare from Britt.

One more thing, Britt's prices were outstanding, especially for the quality of work he does.

Attachments

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
just found some beautiful reclaimed walnut from the turn of the century. Let me know if if I can help you with a true one of a kind snare. Email or call. Jbbllc@yahoo.com or 252-245-6784. Also, check out the FB page for most recent builds! Thanks DFO for all the support!