Sam "Ites" Gonsalves ....What does his kit consist of???

Reaction score
Well Firstly Hello....this is my first post here.
I play bongos ....I am just learning....I really like reggae/dub music and would like to expand beyond bongos.
I have been listening to a lot of Mike Love and Sam "Ites" Gonsalves on Youtube.
I would love to put together the percussion kit Sam Ites uses in the clip for "Permanent Holiday" but I am a complete noob and don't know (apart from the Bongos) what the other gear is so I can go buy it.
I would really love some help from anyone with some experience to identify the gear used and specifics like brands and diameters if you know. Any recommendations for stands,cymbals, and other gear, even mics....any help basically would be really appreciated.
Thank you in advance gents.

cheers,

James

Attachments

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Hello James, and welcome to the forum!

Percussion is not my forte but what I can see is:

- the thing he is sitting on is a Cajon
- his right foot is playing a pedal-activated "Foot Cabasa" (Meinl)
- the black drum next to his bongos is a 13" Taku Hirano Hand Bale (Meinl)
- the pink and blue plastic thingies look like temple blocks or jam blocks
- a couple of cymbals which are thin enough to be played by hand (splashes, paper thin crashes, "cajon" cymbals etc. as made by Meinl, Paiste, Sabian...)
- a tambourine that can be mounted on a stand

Hope that helps!

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The tambourine could be Toca brand. Looks like a mounted vibraslap too.

Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED GENTS especially to Soulfinger......and thanks for the welcome too.
Great forum and very helpful!
Not sure if I will have anything of value to contribute here but maybe make some purchases in the for sale threads ;-)
This is really priceless info for me and very much appreciated.

Would anyone possibly know or be able to give a good guess as to the brand of bongos and perhaps the cymbal diameters?
Also any recommendation for stands would be great too.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Cymbals designed to be played by hand usually aren´t bigger than 16". His splash looks like a 10", the others are probably 14" to 16".
Stands - hard to go wrong with hardware nowadays. I use Yamaha, perfect value for money, but the same goes for Tama, Pearl...

Reaction score
Thanks again Soulfinger. Are cymbals designed to play by hand just like regular cymbals but only difference being the smaller sizes or are they specifically made cymbals for playing by hand? Thanks for the stand tip also..I will check out what Yamaha has to offer.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Are cymbals designed to play by hand just like regular cymbals but only difference being the smaller sizes or are they specifically made cymbals for playing by hand?
They are thinner than regular cymbals to make them open up easier (but can still be played with reguar sticks, brushes etc.). You´d cut your hand trying to get a decent sound out of a middle of the road Medium Crash. :)

Cymbals designed to be played by hand include:

- Paiste PSTX "Cajon"
- Meinl "Candela"
. Sabian "El Sabor"
- Stagg "Ocean"
- Schlagwerk (known for their Cajons) now offer cymbals as well

I'm sure there are more.

Splashes of all kind usually are thin enough to be played by hand.