Same size rack toms

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Has / is anyone using two up in the same size? Now that I have two 12” club custom toms I’m thinking about just tuning one higher and using both. Why not?

Tuckerboy

Reaction score
Sure. I use a 12” maple/walnut shell tuned high and a 12” Club Custom tuned medium low and this is for louder rock type music. Experimenting with using different heads along with the different tunings can get a nice spread in tone between the two same diameter shells.

lcondo123

Reaction score
I've had a Rogers Top Hat kit for years now, with two 12" rack toms and that kit is incredible. You can easily tune the two toms to different pitches and get a whole array of tones out of the kit. No problems whatsoever in that!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Rogers Top Hat with two 12's. Very easy to get different pitches, and kind of nice having the smaller tom rather than a 13, saves some space up there.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwigs first Hollywood kits , early 60’s pre serial came with 2 /12’s on top of the 22 , no problem getting even thirds or fourths.
My Rogers Londoner has 2 /13’s
Same deal , tuning no prob. The 13 sounds really good with a higher tuning. My ocd prefers the even and balanced look of same size toms :)

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Of all the sizes available for this I think the 12 reigns supreme. Most of them have quite a decent range; so what if one batter is tighter than the other. I do this with varied size toms to get more spread.