header.nohb.html

Sample Pad Info

KenWK

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DTX502 kit and have been using a Roland R-05 to record and playback whole-song drum tracks, which works fine for my strictly recreational purposes.

For playing back recordings like horns and strings pieces while playing the drums, I got an Alesis SamplePad Pro, which for the money is fine for this not-so-cheap hobby. As a side note: the DTX502 module is old (from 2013) and only has a meg of customizable memory and no SD card slot.

I was hoping to use just the SamplePad for playback but when it loads the whole-song recordings it can take up to 3 full minutes, which is a long time even when just rehearsing.

All that background to ask: Does anyone know if the Roland pads would have similar load time issues with files as large as 40 meg?

Thanks for reading,
Ken

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DTX502 kit and have been using a Roland R-05 to record and playback whole-song drum tracks, which works fine for my strictly recreational purposes.

For playing back recordings like horns and strings pieces while playing the drums, I got an Alesis SamplePad Pro, which for the money is fine for this not-so-cheap hobby. As a side note: the DTX502 module is old (from 2013) and only has a meg of customizable memory and no SD card slot.

I was hoping to use just the SamplePad for playback but when it loads the whole-song recordings it can take up to 3 full minutes, which is a long time even when just rehearsing.

All that background to ask: Does anyone know if the Roland pads would have similar load time issues with files as large as 40 meg?

Thanks for reading,
Ken
The biggest file I ever used with my SPD-SX was 32MB, but it loaded in less than 2-3 seconds. Don’t imagine 40 would be much different.

KenWK

Reaction score
The biggest file I ever used with my SPD-SX was 32MB, but it loaded in less than 2-3 seconds. Don’t imagine 40 would be much different.
Oh wow, that's a huge difference! Will have a look around for a used one. Thanks so much for replying.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
I MIDI an SP404 of my ekits/multipads for years. Zero load time as plays direct off the memory card. You can map about 100 sounds to MIDI notes so have all those sounds available immediately.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sample Pad Pro lacks processing power...its why its cheap...and slow. I sold mine when i found an older Roland for cheap. The Roland SPD S or SX also has some effects you can add...and Alesis has a pad similar to the SPD and Yamaha's DTX (?)...but...its not priced any better.