DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think she’s great !!!

But that video was nerve wracking ..

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I really enjoy watching her play, the sheer joy and ability is wonderful.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seriously talented but a bit frantic. I did love how she dropped a little drunk beat stuff in there, though.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been following her work for a couple of years. I'm a fan of how she is totally immersed in the experience when she's playing. Her style is not always my taste, though nothing but mad respect for her skill and dedication!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOVE her! Her chops and dynamics mixed with Indian/ragas/odd time rhythms really drew me into her. A good person too.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very surprised I did not get more response on this video. But I understand that this style of drumming is not cool with young people. Lol.
Not sure what you mean by "this style of drumming is not cool with young people", for she uses a lot of the phrasing that one hears on contemporary hip-hop/jazz fusion stuff (the band's performance is very "music school", if you catch my drift). I wouldn't at first have recognized this as "A Night in Tunisia" had you not mentioned it. A very good player. Thanks for posting.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarah Thawer is rad! Very good Instagram follow if you're into that. Her playing is ferocious and joyful all at once, and I love how she can be hyper precise and then go into a woozy feel. Just great command. She rules. I've heard the criticism that she overplays, but I think most people saying that are only watching her social media/YouTube stuff that's meant to highlight her skills, so would tend to favor bombast. I suspect that if one were lucky enough to catch her performing with a band or on record that she'd know when to hold back vs let loose.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very surprised I did not get more response on this video. But I understand that this type of drumming is not cool with young people. Lol.

Uhhhhhh.....dunno....
The only “young people” who may not think it’s cool may be the folks who aren’t cool with acoustic drums (or musics) period...
Tons of “young people” are into this hyper quasi gospel chop stuff for lack of a better term.....then there’s the speed/prog metal folks...
The “music school” performance analogy from franke’s post is spot on. I see it with a couple of “hot shot” drummers I instruct/mentor. They get taught or shown a bunch of notes in their school music class which is way cool, and usually they can deftly and convincingly insert them into a ditty...but then they come over here and I’ll show them where to take them out...ie a deeeep pocket so then they can add even more...;)
bt

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sarah's been getting some nice calls of late - Daniel Lanois, Donald Harrison, etc. She's got huge ears, knows the tunes, and simply kills it. There are reasons her phone rings.

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sarah is a great player, and really sweet. She wowed them with her performance at PASIC. She was a Yamaha Canada artist before she moved to LA.