Satin Flame cleaner?

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 68 Satin Flame floortom that has some white stains. It looks like there was something splashed on before I received it years ago. I thought it might be something that has stained .... bleached out... the finish. It has a bit of a relief... raised feel. I took this photo just now and it looks like maybe it's on top of the finish?

Any recommendations how to remove.. hardened glue maybe... from the finish without staining OR melting the plastic SF wrap?

Gary
20210512_202657.jpg

Butch1970

Reaction score
No experience with Satin Flame coverings, but maybe Goo Gone would be gentle enough to try?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Typical cleaning of satin flame is scrubbing bubbles or even just Dawn and/or Windex. I had some old decal glue to remove from my shells. Just kept at it with the standard cleaners
and light rubbing with a soft cloth. Some do these shells with a toothbrush to get into the crevices of the "bumpy" wrap. You could even leave a damp cloth/sponge on that spot
overnight and see what happens.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are places where it looks like acid was spilled and its raised too. Closeup photo looks like maybe glue... very difficult to remove. I did try a small amount of Paint Thinner under a lug to see if that would cause damage or not affect the finish. It seemed to be okay. But when I used it.... carefully.... it did cause a brightening of the finish and did nothing to lift whatever was there. Whatever it is on there may have to stay because if Paint Thinner isn't budging it it's a pretty tough nut to crack.
I'm not worried because overall the drum is nice... the finish is more than 50years old. It's still a very nice Gretsch 6ply drum in any case.
photos with and without flash showing damaged areas.
20210513_215034.jpg
20210513_215023.jpg

Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score
I'd just make sure it was clean, (no debris or other goop) like I mentioned above with warm water and soap... then assemble and enjoy. They look good to me! (Go a little extra on the chrome to really make it pop)
Mike B

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The use of Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft bristle brush, even a toothbrush, is ideal for cleaning satin flame wraps. As to those odd stains, they are actually in the substrate itself and can't be removed. It's just the nature of Satin Flame wraps. Clean them up as best you can and enjoy them!

Here's a picture of a 60's Slingerland Cusatis 4N kit I had some years ago. Took quite some time to clean the wrap, but each drum came out great! If you look closely at the floor tom and snare drum, you might be able to make out those odd stains/marks. Due to the limited picture size that DFO uses, you might not be able to see it!

-Mark

Attachments

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to clean a Ludwig Astro Gold tom and a Gretsch Yellow Satin Flame bass drum. I used Simple Green and a towel. Came out cleaner with very little work.
Stretch

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
A friend of mine recenty did a progressive jazz in silver satin flame with a magic eraser. It was dirty as hell and he got it looking practically new again.