Scale for weighing cymbals

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have to unload about a dozen cymbals and looking for a scale that could give accurate weight. Anybody recommend one they use?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Wal-Mart.
Any food scale. You will want one that reads in standard ( pounds an ounces ) and metric (grams ).

Digital are nice and they are not too expensive.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
They’re cheap on ebay too. Search “digital postal scale” and make sure the one you buy can read in grams, and can handle up to 10 lbs.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I use the one at my grocery store's meat counter. It's not a big deal. Just walk up to the counter and put your cymbal on the scale. It has of course occurred to me that the grocery store could intentionally use an incorrectly calibrated scale in order to overcharge customers for hamburger, but then again the ratio of my cymbal weights would still be the same. They'd all just weigh proportionately more than they really do. But on the assumption that grocery store meat counters have accurate scales, I just use them. (And sometimes produce will have another scale you can use to verify the accuracy of the scale at the meat counter.)

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Harbour Freight has some very affordable models.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My local UPS store let me use their scale in the past, just to weigh some drum items without making any shipping related purchase... so there's a freebie for ya.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Just under $6 - works like a charm!

That's what I have, works fine and is accurate.
I don't get why guys are hauling their cymbals into the post office or grocery stores when they could have one of these scales for 6 bucks.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a small digital scale my wife uses for cooking and I take the cardboard tube from a roll of tp and weigh it. Then I put the tube on the scale and place the cymbal on top and deduct the weight of the tube. That weigh : ) I can see the weight displayed. (Otherwise the cymbal is in the way...at least for me on this small scale)

6packb

Reaction score
I don't get why guys are hauling their cymbals into the post office or grocery stores when they could have one of these scales for 6 bucks.
I just bought one of these, great thread, thx
Jon

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chance to meet people, maybe run into old friends, get out of the house... drive downtown... It's a whole social phenomenon

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a small digital scale my wife uses for cooking and I take the cardboard tube from a roll of tp and weigh it. Then I put the tube on the scale and place the cymbal on top and deduct the weight of the tube. That weigh : ) I can see the weight displayed. (Otherwise the cymbal is in the way...at least for me on this small scale)

Yep, I used to do the same. Until I discovered my scale had a "tare" feature. No more tube for me! :)

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Several local post office in my area (metro Atlanta), have scales for customer use in the lobbies (24-7 access).
Big enough to place large packages and lay 24" cymbals on. They read in pounds/metric.
Sure it is easier to use a home scale, but I just carried several up to the local PO (10minute drive), weigh each and Sharpie the weight under the bell. One time trip. Done.
Try a PO near you.

Last edited:

Latest posts