Scale For Weighing Cymbals

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
They should have a tare feature - once you put the tube on it and press tare, it zeros out so the tube weight is no longer registered.

Unfortunately I also have to use a tube, or water bottle, or whatever is handy. The reason is because my display is not lit and you just can't see the display with the cymbal on the scale. My mom-in-law has a fancy schmancy digital food scale with a LIT display which is awesome but by the 4-5th time of me bringing cymbals and such to her kitchen to weigh them, I figured it's better to just get my own......

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use any sort of tall cylinder like a spray can, or round container of slug repellent, or big mason jar. With most digi scales the tare function is included and super easy (just press a button); one way around not having an easy-to-use tare feature is to put the can/jar on the scale before turning it on. That way the scale will zero out with the weight of the can/jar there already figured in.

kdrumSTL

Reaction score
Worth it to buy a scale for home use, especially at under $10. I've got a couple of them, I use a tall scotch whisky cardboard container to tare, then put the cymbal on top so that I can still read the weight. Can use it for postal weight measurements also, as a bonus.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the tare ideas. I simply shine a bright flashlight under the cymbal to read the weight.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I noticed a good price on those postal scales. Maybe I'll get one sometime. I don't actively search out cymbals like I used to, though. Even then it was a trip to the neighborhood post office, and conversion of the lbs oz to grams.

Dougie Stix

Reaction score
I have to get one of these too. I have an old Zildjian ride that only has an old logo on it. A store expert could not identify what model it is. Thinking I can narrow it down if in knew its exact weight. It's a loud ride. I believe from the 60's. This forum gives me too many things to do!

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I have to get one of these too. I have an old Zildjian ride that only has an old logo on it. A store expert could not identify what model it is. Thinking I can narrow it down if in knew its exact weight. It's a loud ride. I believe from the 60's. This forum gives me too many things to do!
Weight can be helpful to work out a model, but I would recommend you start by reading up on production eras first. Homework links. :glasses8:

annotated timeline (quick index)
hammering and lathing
bells
image gallery

That tells you how to recognize production eras from trademarks, hammering, lathing style, and bell details. Weights for the Medium Ride (for a given diameter) changed over the decades. Once you narrow down the production era then you can get into bell size and shape in combination with weight to identify a model. I haven't published a summary of all my data yet but if you give me something to work with (photos of the trademark stamp, any ink, photo from the top, photo from the bottom, profile photo) that is a start. Then we can add a weight into the mix. Even with all that there are many cymbals where we can't yet give a specific model with a reliable accuracy. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Reaction score

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s how I do it.
With larger cymbals the digital display can be hard to read so I put a large cup on my scale and place the cymbal on the cup upside down so the bell is sitting inside the cup. This makes it easy to read the display.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With larger cymbals the digital display can be hard to read so I put a large cup on my scale and place the cymbal on the cup upside down so the bell is sitting inside the cup. This makes it easy to read the display.
I cut up a plastic bottle for this purpose. Put the bottom half on the scale and push "tare"(set to zero).

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
When you weight the cymbal, do you lay it upside down so all the weight is on the bell?
My display is not backlit so I have to be able to see the display with the cymbal on it. Sometimes, I take a plastic cup, put it on, tare it out to weigh zero with the cup, then put the cymbal bell up on the cup. Other times, I get a plastic water bottle, repeat, and put it bell down (like it would be mounted) and weigh. I have to have it up though so I can peek under and see the readout. I then always write it under the bell in a sharpie. On cymbals that have "factory" weights, I usually write it on a small piece of tape.

I think there is a way to save the weight display but I am not sure how - I think you put the cymbal (bell down) on the scale, then tare it so it weighs "zero" with it on, then remove the cymbal, and thus the weight will then reduce and become "negative" and that negative amount is the cymbal weight. I've tried this and for some reason have had some discrepancies with that weight vs. the way I would do it.......what do you expect for $6!

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My display is not backlit so I have to be able to see the display with the cymbal on it. Sometimes, I take a plastic cup, put it on, tare it out to weigh zero with the cup, then put the cymbal bell up on the cup. Other times, I get a plastic water bottle, repeat, and put it bell down (like it would be mounted) and weigh. I have to have it up though so I can peek under and see the readout. I then always write it under the bell in a sharpie. On cymbals that have "factory" weights, I usually write it on a small piece of tape.

I think there is a way to save the weight display but I am not sure how - I think you put the cymbal (bell down) on the scale, then tare it so it weighs "zero" with it on, then remove the cymbal, and thus the weight will then reduce and become "negative" and that negative amount is the cymbal weight. I've tried this and for some reason have had some discrepancies with that weight vs. the way I would do it.......what do you expect for $6!
This is how I do it. I don't need a tube or bottle or whatever to weigh the cymbal. I put the cymbal on the scale by itself (bell down), hit the tare button and take the cymbal off the scale. The scale weight reads minus whatever (i.e. -1272 grams). This gives me the weight of the cymbal. I've tried it both ways and get the same accuracy. Now maybe on some scales, the tare reading does not remain after removing the cymbal from the scale. In that case I guess it's back to toilet paper rolls or whatever.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
My grocery store eliminated the meat counter so I was forced to weigh my most recent cymbal on the scale in the produce aisle. To do so I took the pan that you put vegetables in off the scale, put the cymbal in a lightweight plastic bag, and hanged the bag from the hook for the pan on the scale. That worked fine. To double check, I asked the cashier at checkout to weigh it on her scale. At least at my grocery store the cashiers all have scales to weigh loose produce, and they can weigh cymbals too. Granted, weighing cymbals in grocery stores requires bringing the cymbals to the grocery stores, but I have no problem availing myself of grocery store scales.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I have used this one. With light up and display is detachable on cable but also stays attached firmly with magnets. you will never need to use tube or whatever again. It does have zero out feature as well. Free shipping from Home Depot.

fusseltier

Reaction score
In over 45 years playing drums, I've never bought a cymbal or searched for a cymbal by their weight. Unless you're planning to recycle them, but you'll lose a lot of money selling them for the metal.
I guess if there's no markings anywhere on the cymbal, the weight might be helpful, but the bell, taper, and thickness would be more helpful determining the type of cymbal.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Wal-Mart.
Any food scale. You will want one that reads in standard ( pounds an ounces ) and metric (grams ).

Digital are nice and they are not too expensive.
Some post offices also have a "self-serv mail center" that includes a pretty nice digital scale.
Personally, I've been using a 25 lb. Hanson kitchen scale for over 30 years now.
Cheap plastic, and I think its considered an "antique" these days, but its as accurate as anything out there....

1579331678982.png

...you can probably find one at any thrift store for a couple of bucks.

Elvis

Latest posts