Scale for Weighing my Cymbals?

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only know the weight of some of my cymbals from when I purchased them. But most of my cymbals are still unknown. I would like to weigh my cymbals whenever I want, especially my hi-hats, but I don’t have an accurate enough scale. I only have a small scale that goes up to 500g and a bathroom body weight scale. I bought a Taylor food scale recently, but had to return it. It was a piece of junk and not accurate at all...

Anybody have a recommendation for a good cymbal scale? Something that measures to 1g or .1g, is good quality, reliable, large enough, accurate, and inexpensive. Any personal reccomendations would be appreciated. There are so many options on Amazon that I’m not sure what’s good or what to buy.

Thanks!

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
got one from target for 9.99 and it goes up to 15 lbs and does grams, pounds. Just weighed a 24 ride at 3409grams. today. The brand is Taylor. it has the zeroing feature so that you can place a bowl on it and then zero it out and then put a cymbal on the bowl so that you can read the display and see just the weight of the cymbal. even comes with bateries and has auto shut off after a minute so you dont waste battery energy.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
only have to do it once ; ) at the post office..
convert to grams and magic marker it under the cup and write it down

but I understand you want a scale)
Good idea, but that’s too much of a headache to drive 10mins away just to use their scale. Plus my local post office is like the dmv. Full of nasty women trying their hardest not to help anybody. It’s aggravating to even talk to them.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has one for $20. You can usually scarve up a 20% off coupon on any single item from ads in car magazines or online so more like $16. A bit larger and easier to use than the other lower cost models which generally are intended for kitchen usage (but those will do the trick just the same).

Digital Scale (harborfreight.com)

I snagged an earlier model of this same scale at a thrift store for $3.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an inexpensive digital posts scale that does pounds/ounces and also grams and has a tare function. I recently saw the same thing at my local US Post Office, so if it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for me.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my 0-11 lb. scale from Walmart. Batteries last about 6-9 months (cost $3 each). Gross and Tare functions. Lbs-ounces, grams-kg. Turns off after a couple minutes if not used.
A 15 lb scale would come in handy for shipping heavier cymbals but my 11 lb one covers most of it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get ones on eBay for like six bucks. Digital food scales. Grams, pounds and they work. The one I have doesn't have a lit display but I usually get an empty water bottle and put it on top, zero it out, and then put the symbol on top of that so I can peek under and get the weight.....

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend spending a little more and buying a postal scale. I bought mine several years ago and it's paid for itself. Mine goes to 75 pounds (34 kg) and it's great for shipping packages I sell on Reverb or DFO. It also will go down to a gram, so it's useful for very light things. Mine is an UltraShip Ultra-75. I think I paid $40. Weigh your cymbals and magic marker the weight on the bottom for easy reference.
Stretch

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use any calibration weights on their scales to see how accurate they are?

Mostly curious because of not only being a very exacting guy, but I swear almost every cymbal I get is at the upper end of the weight ranges when comparing them to other cymbals I find online with specified weights.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For "calibration" weights you simply get some 12-16 oz soda or water bottles for the low end check (500-1000 gm) and 1 gallon water bottles for the high end (3850 gm). You'll have to weigh the bottles/jugs empty and full to get the gross weight. Add container weight to liquid wt.
Milli-liters (ml) converts precisely to grams 1-1. 1 gallon of water is 128 fluid oz or 3.785 liter (3785 ml or 3785 gm). Sometimes the bottles aren't precisely filled to perfect amounts. But I'd bet the gallon is always within 5-10 ml of 3785.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For "calibration" weights you simply get some 12-16 oz soda or water bottles for the low end check (500-1000 gm) and 1 gallon water bottles for the high end (3850 gm). You'll have to weigh the bottles/jugs empty and full to get the gross weight. Add container weight to liquid wt.
Milli-liters (ml) converts precisely to grams 1-1. 1 gallon of water is 128 fluid oz or 3.785 liter (3785 ml or 3785 gm). Sometimes the bottles aren't precisely filled to perfect amounts. But I'd bet the gallon is always within 5-10 ml of 3785.
Thanks.

I thought about using cans of soda to see how close my scale is but I wasn't sure how consistently the cans are filled to the same volume or if there would be an appreciable difference between a fluid ounce and an ounce. I'll weigh a few to see what the scale shows just for fun.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up an old mechanical one at a yard sale . The kind you used to see at the butcher shop . Cradle/pedestal on a dial . Metric and regular calibrations . I took a sabian ride with the factory weight written under the bell, weighed it and it was spot on . Cymbals fit bell down real nice and stable on the snare basket - like cradle .

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went with an AWS 5kg scale that reads to .1g on the display. It cost me $22 on Amazon and will be here tomorrow.

I was looking at Taylor brand scales and other cheap food scales, but most only displayed to the oz & g. I wanted to be more accurate and not have to convert from oz.

philmets

Reaction score

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has one for $20. You can usually scarve up a 20% off coupon on any single item from ads in car magazines or online so more like $16. A bit larger and easier to use than the other lower cost models which generally are intended for kitchen usage (but those will do the trick just the same).

Digital Scale (harborfreight.com)

I snagged an earlier model of this same scale at a thrift store for $3.
I have one of these but never weighed cymbals on it. What do you use to place the cymbals on?