Scammed on a Beatles Head display ? probably

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
So yesterday morning I was on facebook when an ad popped up in my feed for a light up Beatles bass drum head wall display. It was described as a shallow 22" shell in OBP with a Remo head with the Logo on it, backlit with LEDs to hang on the wall. Normally $159 but they were blowing them out for $79. Seemed like a great deal, maybe a bit too great but some of this stuff does wholesale surprisingly cheap. I had been wanting to build one of these myself but even building it myself would cost quite a bit more than that. Plus it said they took paypal so there wouldn't be much risk. Only five left too. So I clicked on it but when you actually go to buy the paypal option disappears and you had to enter your info. Having already made the mental commitment to snag one I only briefly questioned to myself why the paypal option wasn't there when the logo is clearly on the description page. I figured shipping would be a crazy amount (if it had been I might have backed away) but no, only $4.95, very reasonable (too reasonable). So I typed in all my info, running my debit card as a credit card (I don't have any actual credit cards). Sale goes through I get an email telling me so with my order #. Then, and only then I notice that there are comments posted under the blurb on facebook (of course they are hidden unless you click on them) only to see that numerous folks have posted that they never received anything from this company that is apparently in China. Well, Yay! The website link in the email they sent me goes nowhere as does the name on the transaction.

My own fault of course, I ignored all the red flags. Too good of a deal to be true, hurry! only a very few left, paypal option disappeared, shipping too reasonable, It was Sunday so I couldn't call my bank. I went there this morning hoping that I could just cancel the transaction but apparently not on a debit card (even run like a credit card, at least according to them, it has a Visa logo on it but no related customer service # just says to call your bank if you have an issue). They can dispute the transaction (tomorrow) and if I want to cancel my card to be safe that they don't run any other charges then it will take two weeks to get a replacement. Other than the risk of them charging more things to it I'm not sure it's worth the $85 for the hassle of going two weeks without a debit card and rejiggering all the automatic payment accounts tied to it....although I'm sure a drained bank account would be even more of a hassle.

So, I guess I'm likely screwed on this drum related deal. One question I wonder about is how is Facebook not in any way responsible? They were the ones who put this offer on my timeline, don't they need to police this stuff at all? Ebay backs buyers up pretty well, I've never given much thought to this stuff on Facebook (I generally ignore stuff for sale) but this will be the last time I respond to any offers I see there.

Of course if one of you can tell me that you also bought one of these from a place called Onceour and it showed up safe and sound then I can rest easy....seems doubtful though.

They turned my love of the Beatles and drums against me....very clever, and I'm sure Facebook helped target me too.

This was one of the sales pics (guitars not included)...

mail.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can your bank set up a 2 step verification for any new debit card use? Send you a text with a secret code number to complete the purchase.

Cancel the debit card. If they make charges with it, you are not going to get the money back as you have found out. Reason I do not us a befit card myself - no safety from fraud.

Not really the $85. It is whatever they charge later. It will get rejected later and you will have service charge on each overdrawn charge as well.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you can get your bank to put a purchase limit on the card. Anything above $X amount gets blocked. Or just dispute it and cancel the card. I probably would do that to avoid getting burned. Most big banks now will give you a temporary debit card on the spot if you go into the branch to use till your permanent one arrives in the mail. Now remember though that some of this stuff from China takes forever to arrive sometimes. Who knows, it might be legit and people complain because they haven't received anything but from China sometimes it takes forever. Maybe you dispute and get your money returned and suddenly 2 months later it arrives at your door. About FB being responsible, I don't think they totally can be. Their are billions of users and I don't think it's remotely possible to monitor everything that happens there. And in the end, FB is a free venue. Maybe if I were paying for a service I would hold the service partly liable (like ebay which has buyer/seller protection when a transaction is made). Hope you resolve the issue!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Get a new card! My bank generally covers any fraudulent activity, it happens/
Scammers always be scamming Careful out there!

bkny110

Reaction score
K.O., were any of the comments positive? The biggest red flag I could see was 4.95 shipping from China.
You got caught up in the moment and let your passion overtake your fears. Cancel the card and protect yourself from further damage.
Hey, on a positive note, it may show up at your door!!

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The whole "Facebook targeted me" is so true. FB tracks almost all of your browsing history to target ads to you based on your interests. Firefox now offers a "Facebook container" within their browser. It basically prevents FB, IG, Twitter, etc. from tracking you around the web and cuts down the targeted ads. Just FYI, but it does help keep the spammy ads to a minimum.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sucks man. These people do this sh1t for a living though and they will eventually get someone. Best you can probably do is cancel the card and work with your bank. I keep a low limit credit card for my online transactions. That way If I do get scammed they can't do too much damage.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO you never know it might show up weeks or months from now. Slow boat from China could take a while. A few weeks back I was shopping for some inexpensive works boots on ebay and one auction had China as the shipping country and a note to the buyer that delivery could take up to 6 weeks. I passed but you never know. Keep us posted.
Coy

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hope it all works out for you. Always good to read the comments as it can lead you to the right decision, and hopefully they’re real comments. Have to be so careful.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
What a bummer if a horror story! I would definitely get a new card. Being debit and not credit, the bad goog can drain your account quickly.

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had same problem while back 36" blackstone grill for $49. but time was running out, they had a clock with time ticking off!, I too had to pay with card, now I knew I would never see it, but dam it sounded so good, who ever set the site up did a good job, you could look thru their store, all kinds of stuff. but time was running out so I bought it, the whole time wife standing behind me asking are you stupid? like you I didn't notice all the neg. remarks hidden. that's also when I noticed it was over seas.
after about a month wife calls bank, they refunded our money, we asked what do we do if grill shows up, he said you won't need to worry about that!

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
"My own fault of course, I ignored all the red flags. Too good of a deal to be true, hurry! only a very few left, paypal option disappeared, shipping too reasonable,So, I guess I'm likely screwed on this drum related deal.

One question I wonder about is how is Facebook not in any way responsible? They were the ones who put this offer on my timeline, don't they need to police this stuff at all? Ebay backs buyers up pretty well, I've never given much thought to this stuff on Facebook (I generally ignore stuff for sale) but this will be the last time I respond to any offers I see there."

I'm sorry that you've been had.

However, don't try to put responsibility on someone else. You admittedly ignored all the warning signs.

Better luck next time.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Definitely my own fault. I can deal with that.

BTW it's back on my facebook feed but from a "new" company (in case anyone else wants to get ripped off).

https://asarzon.com/products/beatles-ludwig-bass-drum-head-lamp-black-oyster-pearl-bop

So tempting, the generic looking lugs and claws were just enough to make me think, "yeah I suppose they could sell this for $79 if the shell was "act one" the wrap was like Bumwrap and they used generic parts elsewhere".

456e27148de7ad0fd5142b94aee49530_1024x1024_2x_1c9b8bfa-716c-47b9-8e3c-f09d41bc276d_1200x.jpg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Went back to the bank, cancelled my current debit card and disputed the charge for this. We'll see what happens. Now I get to go two weeks without a debit card. Better than taking a chance though.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dang, I checked the link and this looks legit. Clothes, all kinds of things.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whoa! I decided to check out out. Got to the payment page, and no PayPal.

Then this message came up when the site asked for my credit card info (no PayPal, like you said, K.O.). I've never had Norton do this to me before:

Scam.JPG

Obviously, I cancelled the transaction.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Went back to the bank, cancelled my current debit card and disputed the charge for this. We'll see what happens. Now I get to go two weeks without a debit card. Better than taking a chance though.
I recently got taken by a Facebook ad. I didn't cancel the "free trial, just pay shipping" in time and they started charging my credit/debit card. I called and TALKED to a guy probably in India and I canceled the entire thing. He ASSURED me it was canceled. One hour later they charged my credit/debit card AGAIN. I had to go to my bank [credit union actually] and cancel the card, fill out fraud paperwork and file a claim against them, and was told it could be up to 90 days before it's settled. BUT they gave me a new card instantly, and put the money back into my account for now. So I have about $300 that I can't spend until this case is closed. YES, by all means it's worth it to cancel and get a new card number. Otherwise they'll keep taking money. I'm surprised you actually have to WAIT two weeks. And YES, it's a royal pain in the ass to have to change the info on all the accounts you use the old card for, especially the automatic ones.
Sorry it happened.

Stretch

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s a bummer K.O. Hopefully your bank has your back and it ultimately won’t cost you anything out of pocket.

FWIW- it is a really cool looking light! Hopefully you’ll be able to find a legit one.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
K.O., the pictures and description on the site you posted are also on the worthpoint website of old ebay auction completed sales. Seems like it might have been lifted from there.