School me on Rogers Powertone snare drums

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
I drive a 21-piece big band every week with a COB Powertone and it's "get your kids off the street" awesome!!!
Swivo,
What batter head are you using on your COB Powertone for your Bog Band gigs ?
Ambassadors on both the Powertone and the COB Dynasonic. The Dyna is my backup. I prefer the Powertone for my main snare because the snare frame on the Dyna rattles against the rim on some Latin tunes when the snares are turned off.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
The Powertone is my favorite snare by a good margin. I have 5" and 6.5" Dayton COBs, and a number of 5" Cleveland wood models. My favorites are the early Cleveland 3 ply versions, though the later 5 plies sound good also. The COB models are cannons, especially the 6.5." The 6.5 is too much drum for most of the gigs I play.

My go-to snare for my 1967 Londoner 5 is a 5" Cleveland 3 ply blue sparkle. It's my favorite snare of the 15 I have, and that includes my Dynasonics, both wood and COB. Lately, I have been playing my Dayton 5" COB Powertone with my Gretsch Renown kit.

Why are these drums so great? First, they are 8 lug snares, and I think this is the single most important aspect of their wide open sound. IMHO, 10 lugs choke the drum, which is why I'm not a Dynasonic or Superten fan. They are too dry. The Powertone has a lot of range and depth from the center of the drum to the rims. Second, they have an incredible tuning range. You'd be hard pressed to make this drum sound bad, regardless of what your preferences for tuning snares are.

I got my first Powertone from Jollity Drum Farm a number of years ago. I remember opening the box and setting it up. From the moment I started playing, I had a huge smile on my face. And it wasn't even in proper tune with itself! It sounded even better after I tweaked it with new heads and a proper tuning. This is the one. My favorite. Has original wires, too:

View attachment 233107
How can I find a COB Powertone 6.5x14? I'm also looking for a wood model too

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can I find a COB Powertone 6.5x14? I'm also looking for a wood model too
Both are quite scarce although they do come up for sale every so often. You might want to check in with Rogers Facebook forum a lot of Rogers heavy hitters and collectors on there. A Blue Strata 6.5 recently sold on EBay , asking was 1800. Both wood and brass models fetch top dollar

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
Both are quite scarce although they do come up for sale every so often. You might want to check in with Rogers Facebook forum a lot of Rogers heavy hitters and collectors on there. A Blue Strata 6.5 recently sold on EBay , asking was 1800. Both wood and brass models fetch top dollar
Thank you! Do you recommend one more than the other?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love my Tower/Powertone snare drum! It's the snare drum shown in my Avatar! It started life as a Tower, with the stamped steel butt and Sta-tite strainer. I installed a Swivo strainer and matching die-cast butt. I have a friend that owns a metal fabricating shop and he made me a custom adapter to mount the Swivo butt into the hole spacing from the original butt.

-Mark

Attachments

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I weren't too cheap to let that kind of money go, I'd start with some Powertones and then start grabbing some Radio Kings. But I am, so I'll just keep admiring them from afar.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks sketchy as hell. Has anyone purchased from here?
I agree. They have a phone number listed. I'd see who answers and what they know about Rogers drums before buying. Or maybe give a quiz about Chicago to see if they actually are based there.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. They have a phone number listed. I'd see who answers and what they know about Rogers drums before buying. Or maybe give a quiz about Chicago to see if they actually are based there.
If you wade through their listings no way this joint is legit. A beautiful 18 trans stamp for $79
How about a 1950's Martin Ukulele for $59

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was my first snare drum and has always been the only shallow wood snare that really felt right. It also has the clearest cross stick of any snare I’ve played, although my Slingerland with stick choppers is close. Its Cleveland but appears to be five ply. Came with my 68ish Ludwigs when my dad bought them used the week he came to America in 1977.
3CF09A8E-09F2-40F1-82BD-6AD6EE5E94FD.jpeg
29C88E4F-8D6F-4B92-BA1A-1B5B8CC01F82.jpeg

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
This was my first snare drum and has always been the only shallow wood snare that really felt right. It also has the clearest cross stick of any snare I’ve played, although my Slingerland with stick choppers is close. Its Cleveland but appears to be five ply. Came with my 68ish Ludwigs when my dad bought them used the week he came to America in 1977. View attachment 515857 View attachment 515858
I believe that's a three-ply with re-rings, clearly in the Powertone 3-ply era. Keep it your showcase and play it only at special venues where beer won't be spilled! I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment "the only shallow wood snare that really felt right." I will say, though, the 3 ply Jasper Holiday 5" snares come close.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe that's a three-ply with re-rings, clearly in the Powertone 3-ply era. Keep it your showcase and play it only at special venues where beer won't be spilled! I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment "the only shallow wood snare that really felt right." I will say, though, the 3 ply Jasper Holiday 5" snares come close.
Its a little hard to see with the gray paint on the bearing edge but you can make out five plies before the ring. I think that puts in pretty late in the cleveland run. My 6.5” supra usually gets the nod where beer is likely, but the rogers survived 30 years of my dad playing it in NYC Irish bars 4-7 nights a week before he decided a bass was easier to carry around

Last edited: