Scimitar

jmato

Reaction score
So, my wife and I have a gigging night off, and we are sitting in a bar in a very small midwestern town, and I compliment the drummer on his ride cymbal. It sounds very washy but with a great stick too. Turns out it’s a Zildjian ZBT Scimitar. Really. I am admittedly a little gobsmacked. It goes to show: we can find good ones everywhere, and the player matters.

L300burn

Reaction score
I had some Scimitar 14in hi hats as my first "real" hi hats (after that 10in brass junk). They sounded okay but not the greatest. Scimitar is okay, Pst7 or B8X sounds better.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Once upon a time I had a 16" Schimitar crash....of coure, we called an Impulse back then.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I heard a high school jazz band playing one time and was really impressed by the sound of his ride cymbal within the group.

Turned out to be a Sabian B8!

I was floored.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scimitar and ZBT are two different animals. Both are entry level cymbals and use the same B8 sheet bronze alloy, but the ZBT line replaced the Scimitar line and was a much needed improvement.

jmato

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Just repeating what the drummer told me. It’s one of the two - my point remains. I was surprised.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard 2 ZBT's that sounded pretty good....and 18" ride/crash and a 22" ride. All the others sounded like ZBT's.

Scimitars could be decent if they were from the early line of the run....sometime in the late 80's or early/mid 90's. I've yet to find a decent sounding Scimitar. The early AMIR's can be found quite nice sounding....which is why Zildjian probably got rid of them....cutting into the A line.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to have ZBT hi hats at a rehearsal place, and while I wouldn't trade my New Beats for them, they were quite pleasant to play.

Dan

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
26 years ago - I was a young 22 yrs old. The weakest part of my kit (aside from the 12 in tom which sometimes sounded good, sometimes not - need edgework that it eventually got) - was my RIDE.

Clarification - the first generation (just) Scimitar - was made of brass.
The 2nd generation, called Scimitar BRONZE - was made of B8.

My ride, bought as part of a starter kit of cymbals, was a brass first generation 20 inch ride. It was the last Scimitar to remain on my kit.

Well, the engineer did an amazing job at making it sound good. He was just an amateur weekend engineer (albeit very talented) working in his makeshift studio in his basement - featuring a brand new way of home recording - digital - on what were called ADATs. They were SO EXPENSIVE back then, SO AFFORDABLE now. 16 tracks - 2 ADATs.

Anyway, I think it is evident that one of the best parts of that cymbal is the bell. The other bell you hear is that of an (early Sabian) 18 inch Sabian (AA) brilliant crash.

Sometimes a cheap ride cymbal CAN sound good. I give much credit to the engineer. I have no recollection of what mic he used, but I do recall that he had a MACKIE board. No idea if any pre-amp was used.

YES - I still have it. Kept it for my son - who, unfortunately never caught on to drumming - was seduced by HOCKEY (that's ok - he IS very good at hockey.)

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard 2 ZBT's that sounded pretty good....and 18" ride/crash and a 22" ride. All the others sounded like ZBT's.

Scimitars could be decent if they were from the early line of the run....sometime in the late 80's or early/mid 90's. I've yet to find a decent sounding Scimitar. The early AMIR's can be found quite nice sounding....which is why Zildjian probably got rid of them....cutting into the A line.
The AMIR line was discontinued (I have read) because - OOPS - they invested WAY too much money into making them too darned good. It resulted in a process that made them too costly to produce and along with that is a lower profit margin, which evidently was not lucrative enough for Zildjian. I have never read that it was a problem of them cutting into the sales of the As too much. You might be thinking of what happened with Paiste with the (heavy) 404s and the 2002s.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The AMIR line was discontinued (I have read) because - OOPS - they invested WAY too much money into making them too darned good. It resulted in a process that made them too costly to produce and along with that is a lower profit margin, which evidently was not lucrative enough for Zildjian. I have never read that it was a problem of them cutting into the sales of the As too much. You might be thinking of what happened with Paiste with the (heavy) 404s and the 2002s.
Yeah, I was no doubt thinking of the Paistes....and correlated to Zildjians. But the same thing might have occurred here. And based on your description of what did happen, the AMIRs had to be diggin' somewhat into Zildjian A sales if they got that good...and cheap as well. It's really all part of the same thing. Back in September I had a rogue pair of hi hats with an early Zildjian Amir light top and a heavier unlabeled bottom cymbal looking like a Rude knockoff (I figured it was an 80's Pearl Wild). Boy, that pair gave 85% of the sound of 50's/60's Zildjians...and it was the Amir driving it.....as I tried other combo's and only the AMIR was good.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
My first Zildjian cymbal was a Scimitar 18" crash ride I believe. It did not sound good. I think my next cymbal was a Z Custom 17" crash.
The Scimitar BRONZE cymbals were ok.