Scored some cool Sabian SR2's

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ran across an ad in Kijiji New Brunswick for some Sabian SR2's for sale at a price that I was unable to ignore. The ad mentioned that they had been hand picked from the vault by a friend who works at Sabian. The set consists of 3 hi hats, Light, Medium & Heavy & a 20" Medium ride. Well I got hold of the guy & he turned out to be the dream seller that makes up for a few bad/weird experiences I<ve had with online buying. He was the pinnacle of fast & clear communication. He told me he would get a quote on Monday & wrote me back on Sunday with a 20 dollar/2 day shipping offer, He packed very well & followed up to make sure I like them! Bless him!

Now back to the cymbals...The hi hats offer a lot of mix and match possibilities & the Thin hat is the real star with lots of tiny hammering (Vault or HH?). It's very flexible & dark & sounds great over both the Medium & Heavy. The Medium & Heavy together make a nice pair of AA/New Beat style cymbals. The Medium ride is heavily hammered with broad, long strokes, deep enough that the SR2 post-lathing is less evident within the hammer marks. Could have previously been an Evolution ride, but it's a bit heavier, with more ping. I was expecting it to be a bit lighter with more wash. It's "mightier" than anything I own. The closest I<ve ever owned would be a 20" red label Paiste 2002, not to say that it sounds exactly like that, but that kind of loud, ringy musicality & strong rock bell. It'll never be ride #1, but it nicely fills a spot in the collection, especially for blues/rock gigs. & at $190 (usd) shipping included for all 4 cymbals I couldn<t really lose.
IMG_3456.jpg
IMG_3451.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3450.jpg
IMG_3449.jpg

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's some HHX gems mixed in the SR2 line If one is lucky enough to spot the hammered bells.
Most definitely! & It's cool to have something unique without having to fork over the kind of money that prototypes go for. I was A/Bing my HHX stage hats against the thin/heavy SR2 combo earlier & the latter definitely have something unique.

IMG_3457.jpg

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I have an SR2 collection too, I love them. I scored 15” thin/medium hats that rarely leave the stand. I saw the hammered bell (very similar to your 14”) and jumped on them. Maybe wishful thinking, but to me that looks like Artisan hammering... Whatever it is, it’s something HH so you can bet that a pair of hats is at least twice what you paid for the whole package.

I think I have 3 20” rides, one with 2 rivets that is amazing, a 21” ride, 12” splash, a couple crashes (17 and 18” maybe?) all of them Thin - and a pair of 13” Thin/Med hats on their way! That sounds like a lot, but it’s been over some years, whenever I see some hammering or a great deal. I remove the logos and just leave the weight stamp, they look great without the big SR2.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i prowl for cheap cool SR2s too...but i've never scored like you did...nice
It probably helps that I'm only 4 hours drive from the factory. You are even closer to Quincy, so I imagine you're deep in Zildjian territory. If I do a search for cymbals on Marketplace here the ratio of higher end Sabian to Zildjian is at least 2 to 1. But we also have a high ratio of metal bands, so there are lots of weights & models that aren"t my thing (unless I ever need a viking shield for halloween).

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
I've never been a sabian guy but these are really appealing cymbals, especially for the price point. Trying to casually persuade my students to get some so I can check them out in person. Looks like you scored a sweet set and that's definitely an un-regrettable price point