header.nohb.html

Screwed...

Zelda

Reaction score
Welp! Wasn't expecting this when the chain came off, guess it's stuck in there forever now. Hopefully they sell this part as a replacement. Closest thing I found so far is a "Pearl Aluminum Wheel" which looks different but seems to do the same job. Does anyone know if they're compatible across all Eliminators?

Attachments

• 20221208_210256.jpg
    20221208_210256.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 129

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can extract that broken screw with a nifty tool called an "Easy-Out". Not really so easy, but doable ..... if you have access to a drill press or a friend who has one.

You'll have to disassemble the pedal shaft/cam assembly, then carefully drill the center of the broken screw with the proper size drill bit. Use a center drill first to avoid drill "wandering". The Easy-Out itself is a specialized tapered screw with a left-hand thread; they come in many sizes .... the act of tightening the Easy-Out serves to unscrew the broken fastener. I suggest some heat from a heat gun or mini torch on the broken screw just before attempting to loosen it, because there is probably Loctite on the screw threads. Easy-Outs are made of really hard steel and brittle, like a tap ..... the small sizes can break .... and if they do, you're really up the proverbial creek!

M.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the small sizes can break .... and if they do, you're really up the proverbial creek!

M.

Everything drumgadget said is true. I have been building race cars and hot rods for 50+ years, have the drill press and EZ-outs, and still screw them up. So if you are not experienced, you might consider taking it to a machine shop to have it removed. That's what I do if I care about the part.

Good luck.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
The other option is use a small file or a Dremel tool and create a small notch across the top and use a slotted (flat head) screwdriver to get it out. The heat gun is still probably a great idea for this kind of repair as well.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you strike out with the easy out, you can probably get away with tapping it out to 6mm

Zelda

Reaction score
The other option is use a small file or a Dremel tool and create a small notch across the top and use a slotted (flat head) screwdriver to get it out. The heat gun is still probably a great idea for this kind of repair as well.
I gave this a shot, managed to dig a tiny notch which lasted for half a rotation. Could've worked but unfortunately didn't this time.

In the end it was my trusty father who brought out his tools and got the job done, like so many times. We decided to drill a slightly larger hole for new, healthy threads. Never gonna sell the pedal so I'm happy with the new built-to-last version he made.

Attachments

• 16708920735691018600992616072711.jpg
    16708920735691018600992616072711.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221213_014057.jpg
    20221213_014057.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 15