header.nohb.html

Sealing inner ply?

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took apart my Tama Artwood snare for cleaning and noticed that the inside appears to be unfinished. Two questions:

1) What would be a good oil or other product for finishing the inner ply? Something to reduce the sensitivity to humidity changes without affecting the sound.

2) Is it worth the effort, or should I just reassemble the drum after cleaning?

I don't worry about originality, as the bearing edges and snare beds have been recut. This is a lower-level drum anyway, but it sounds great.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The easiest thing is boiled linseed oil. It has a bit of a scent which you will smell through the vent hold for a little while as it dries, but that doesnt change the tone of the drum at all.

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a fan of fast (4hr) dry polyurethane, satin finish is my go to.
I do think it changes the shell sound, but I have no proof. Brightens, more foucs, kinda like cleaning a cymbal. Not extreme, just enough to notice. Then again maybe it's me.
Makes em look like the high end stuff :wink:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've also shellacked the interiors with great results. No change in sound but they look really nice. Shellac dries super fast though so you have to put it on, then sand it smooth, then apply another coat, then sand it smooth. Its a bit more work, but the results are great.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Tried and True Varnish Oil. It's a boiled linseed oil with natural resins added that seals very well, and doesn't affect the tone at all. They also make a product that is just boiled linseed oil, if you don't want the resins.

Also, it's non-toxic and completely food safe, so you can use it on your cutting boards and wooden utensils as well.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thin coat or two of poly, wipe on then off, and repeat, is fine. H.D. has beeswax polish that also works well. A thin coat, wipe off and let dry. Do a few of those and you're good, too.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a former professional refinisher, my vote for easiest to use at home is water based wipe on poly. Although it does take a few coats to build up. You can wipe it on with a rag and not spill a single drop.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a blue shop towel for satin poly. I dip lightly and if I just want to do a couple of coats, I applied, give it 5 minutes to dry, and do a second or third coat at most.

The product I was referring to earlier is actually a beeswax orange oil wood polish and conditioner. Works great. Same application method.

20220506_212550.jpg

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had great luck with Tung Oil Varnish. It goes on VERY thin. One or two coats are all you need. It penetrates and seals the wood. I recommend it.

1651922866570.png

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all! There were just too many options, so I bought the same stuff I've used before:

Let's see if I have time to apply it tomorrow.

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
On cheaper drums I have used spray Poly with good results & it makes the drums sound and feel more focused. I am thinking on using some "Silver Sealer" on some shells I have laying around.

Slawman