Searching for info on a newly acquired cymbal...

wraub

Reaction score
...and the search function isn't helping much. Please excuse me as I am a noob when it comes to cymbals. I think I may have a 50s Zildjian ride cymbal.

Would a "small stamp b" 50s Zildjian be late 50s?
Would a 20" sizzle ride from that era have had 6 small rivet holes originally?
Would such a cymbal have been machine lathed and hammered, and then hand drilled?

As you may have guessed, I recently picked up an older Zildjian cymbal, and I want to know more about it. Any info helps. :)
Here's the stamp, which is 1 1/4 inches tall-

It has six small holes roughly equally spaced, about an inch and a quarter in from the edge. It will probably get a good soak in some water and Dawn, it will get dried, and then it will get hit a little. :)

Thanks, all.

afwdrums

Reaction score
sure looks like a late 50's small stamp to me, the hammering and lathing too, nice cymbal...hard to tell if the rivet holes are original, but my guess is that they are not as they don't seem quite evenly spaced (the one in the 11 o'clock position mainly, perhaps it's just the photo), but who knows for sure...what's it weigh?

wraub

Reaction score
There's some distortion in the pic, but the holes are "roughly evenly spaced" :D, which seems to be a not common but not unheard of factory thing too, from some of the reading I have done.

Weight is 2060 grams.

sure looks like a late 50's small stamp to me, the hammering and lathing too, nice cymbal...hard to tell if the rivet holes are original, but my guess is that they are not as they don't seem quite evenly spaced (the one in the 11 o'clock position mainly, perhaps it's just the photo), but who knows for sure...what's it weigh?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
6 rivets is typical for factory sizzles, not sure how precisely they measured the angles.

One of my favorite Zs is a 60s one at that weight. I have both a lighter one and a heavier one, but this one would be able to handle it all.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had at least one factory original style rivet on it that would be a nice plus.

wraub

Reaction score
The cymbal got a bath last night in warm water and Dawn. Took off the chonky grunge, left the color and patina. Still some discoloration on the underside, but, underside.
It has a warm sound, with a crash almost like the Crash Of Doom, a decent bell, and a good wash that decays well, not too quickly, not seemingly endless, like my 60s 22" can be.
They're set up next to each other, they work well together.

wraub

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. I appreciate it.

So far, this cymbal is making me very happy. :)

It's a perfect complement to my other cymbals, almost like it was meant to be a set. It has a great darkness to the sound, and a complex crash with lots of color. In fact, I like it a bit more as a crash than as a ride.

I like it very much.

Yes, I'd say so. This type of bell lathing started right before the 60's stamp. Real stamp years are always a guess, but it's close.