header.nohb.html

See your floor tom to kick conversions?

John

Reaction score
Couple years ago i believe this was a topic. Would like to see pictures if any of people's floor tom to kick conversions, either from commercially available hardware or (better yet) your creative jury-rigged home workshop versions.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have never done a conversion, but I use this rail on both a 20 and an 18 in BD: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Dunnett-Rail-Mount-Package?sku=490666

If I wanted to convert a floor tom I'd just add this: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Dunnett-Gull-Wing-Spurs?sku=490664 and a riser so I could attach the BD pedal to the hoop.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
This kit uses a converted floor tom shell. The holes for the leg brackets were filled, and new holes drilled for the spurs and tom mount.

It's an XP8 Rogers kit, and the shells were the same for an 18" bass and an 18" floor tom in that era. Both were 16x18"

I left the tom lugs on, too much work to fill and redrill for 16 bass lugs, and what's the diff anyway?

All rewrapped in Vintage WMP, and I used late 50's Eagle badges instead of the later Big R badges, for the heck of it.

It works fine as a bass, sounds good and has a nice punch.

Not a temporary conversion, but a 'real' conversion...

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
This bass drum started life as a FEPOS 16" floor tom with Slingerland copy lugs. It features two luan plys and pine re-rings that were stapled together. I filled the holes for the legs and cut it down to 12" deep. The 2" riser/pedal mount was made out of a couple scraps of wood that are bolted to the shell. Since this photo, I've upgraded to vintage Premier spring loaded disappearing spurs for a wider stance so it won't fall over from the weight of the small tom or creep when I really lay into it.

It's super light and sounds much better than you might think. I really like it.

jim

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The set is made up of Slingerland orphan shells off E bay. Bass started life as a 1959 Slingerland Floor Tom. Removed what was left of the wrap, stripped the glue, doweled all the holes and then replaced lugs with Radio King Repro lugs in new holes drilled in similar position as lugs on bass drums. I use a Gibralter riser with spurs from Drum Foundry. Sound was the real surprise, Clear Emperor batter, Ambassador up front and a small strip of felt across the top of the batter. Tuned medium high for jazz, the drum sings.
Regards
DonS View attachment 54485

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This kit started out as a pile of trash someone was going throw away. I think it was probably 1/2 of a big double bass kit: it WAS a 22" kick, 18" floor, and 10" and 12" toms. The kick was all tore up, splintered at the seam--a real mess. So, I put 18" on his side, put the hardware from the 22" on, and ripped off the tom mounting scheme from Sunluck's "Happy Fivel" set. The result is affectionately known as "Big Pink," and it's the kit I play 90% of my gigs on. I recently bought a 14" X 11" tom, and will be turning that into a "floor" tom soon.

DSCF0017.jpg

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom spurs I got from Fitzy....slip right in the swivo mount for a quick and easy setup....no mods to drum
009-21.jpg

003-10-1.jpg

009-4-1.jpg