Seeking advice on how to improve my acoustic setup. Thanks :)

gobears10

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I usually play a Roland e-kit these days, but I have an acoustic kit that I use for gigging as well.
Since I'm not as used to playing on an acoustic kit, I was looking for advice on how to improve my setup/make it more ergonomic.

I have kit pics here:
Thanks so much! :)

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
already looks at maximum ergonomic.
Lower the hi tom by putting it on a stand off to the side, but that's about it.

Drums are dimensions. (stuck working w/what/ we/ have...)
I guess, we'll start this off with a friendly disagreement. Yes, maximum ergonomics is what you are looking for. But I'm not sure moving that tom really serves that end. I get lots of folks prefer that set-up - but is it really more ergonomic? Here's how it stacks up to me...

Pros - 1) tom can be lower - closer to the height of the snare

Cons - 1) It will require moving the hi hat further to the left - even more so for folks (not me) that want the hat as far forward as comfortable to accommodate the right hand crossing over in front of the left stick rather than over it.

2) Hi and Low Tom further apart making patterns between the two more difficult.

3) To lesser degree (but the devil is in the details with this stuff), shifting the tom to the left instead of dead straight ahead makes it more difficult to get to - negating some the "advantage" of lowering it in the first place.

My point is - I believe that oftentimes too high of a priority is put on trying to place all the elements of the kit on a single horizontal plane - considering that doing that invariably results in those pieces being spread out over a larger area requiring the player to reach further to reach things. Fact is the further our hands gets away from our body to do something, the more quickly exhausting a task becomes.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
already looks at maximum ergonomic.
Lower the hi tom by putting it on a stand off to the side, but that's about it.

Drums are dimensions. (stuck working w/what/ we/ have...)

Last edited:

dangermoney

Reaction score
I also use a Roland e-kit but for band rehearsal only and not for practice. I found that if I practiced on the e-kit too much then it would feel funny when I started playing on my acoustic kit at the gig. E-kit muscle memory would cause things to feel too far apart and my 'feel' when hitting the drums was diminished. It would take me 3-5 songs before the feeling returned and things started to feel better. So, I quit practicing on the e-kit.

Could this be a part of the problem that you're trying to solve?

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As said above, I would move the tome to a snare stand and that will also allow you to tuck the ride in closer. That would be more comfortable for me, but you would have to try it yourself and see how if feels.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ergonomics has to do w individual physical characteristics . Without knowing anything about your height , arm and leg length it’s hard to make a valuation. If you can’t lower the drums a very simple adjustment of raising your throne could be the answer. I prefer everything in close and tight to reduce reaching and extra motion. I also prefer to play down on my gear as opposed to up.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking closer - I would either bring the ride cymbal lower - or - angle it more towards you (like you have the tom). The idea being you want to be able to play the ride cymbal with the same wrist to forearm positioning as you use for the snare drum - with as little elbow angle change as possible when going between the two.

The way it is - when moving from snare to ride, you are probably either needing to raise your forearm considerably by pushing your elbow away from your body and/or needing to "break" your wrist position (hinging your wrist downward) in order to get the tip of the stick up onto the cym.

Just a thought...

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me...the ride cymbal (on the drummer's right) is too high. I like mine much lower. If you're gigging a lot you could try and L arm off the kick drum and you could lose a cymbal stand.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Not sure about ergonomics, but I'd personally get rid of the boom arm on the cymbal stand (which would help your ergonomics when carrying the stuff). It looks like you're only getting the cymbal about a inch closer in with the boom, and that's not worth it to me.

Also, I guess I would set both cymbals a tad lower. My rule for a left side cymbal (that presumably you want to crash sometimes) is to put it just high enough for the crashed cymbal not to hit anything else. You might be a couple inches high on the left side and maybe six inches high on the right.

A vexation of mine is wanting one rack tom centered over the bass drum instead of on the far left. This has always made more sense to me, but the mounting systems rarely permit it (and it's not worth buying more hardware for this small improvement).

An unknown here is how tall you are and how you like to sit. Getting the rack tom's height closer to the snare's height would appeal to me, but one way of doing this is to raise the snare (rather than lower the tom). But then the issue is how high you want to sit.

Actually, I think your setup is fine. But since you asked, these are my thoughts.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
ADJUST THE STAGGERED SPUR

(didn't that used to be a bar somewhere?>.

Oh wait. nvrmd. You may want it that way.

Last edited:

Latest posts