Seeking Flat or Smaller Bell Ride Suggestion, but Not for Jazz

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Search in the back of the used-car lots.
"lowest price first" search on ebay for cymbals.

wager you'll find a " 70s Ufip 18" Made in Italy" for $72 that will be just perfect
..parked sideways at the back of the lot

Last edited:

Acidwash

Reaction score
What about those dream flat earth rides? Recently ordered one based on videos on the net. Sounded pretty great as a ride and crashed in a really cool way. Will report when the one I ordered arrives.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's an Agop Flat for sale. There are many more in the for sale section too.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ever the optimist, I’m looking ahead to that new, golden, shining era where I rehearse with my cover and original bands again. These practices are often close and lower volume. The last thing one needs in a garage built for a Model T is a cymbal that washes out vocal and guitar chords. I’ve been getting by fine with some of my lighter As and Ks, but they take a lot of restraint.

I’ve been trying to decide if I want a flat ride or mini cup ride, and am looking for pros and cons of each. Sabian or Zildjian are the brands I prefer. This is not for jazz; it’d need to be an all-rounder low volume for rehearsals covering rock to country to singer-songwriter acoustic—all in one evening. I would not gig with it, just use it to keep time in a setting where we are roughing out songs and I don’t want to get in the way.

I’m not taking a crash to these rehearsals, just a bikini kit with a ride.

One flat I’ve played often, not mine, was a 20” K Custom Dark. I liked it a lot, but of course it seemed one dimensional, and I could not crash it well, and when one just has one cymbal I missed the bell. The only small bell ride—of sorts—I’ve played is my 20” K Con Medium which is just too moody and dark for these styles of music, although it’s a wonderful left side piece. An old A flat could work well in the volume aspect, and I’m curious what gram weight some of you might recommend. Small bells I’m considering are the old Zildjian Mini Cups and the Sabian Mini Bell or Carl Allen. I've never played any of these, so this is new territory. If they are a lot louder than flats then maybe that's my answer.

Basically these are older models, so I’d be buying used and probably not able to hear them in person, which is why I’m reaching out here. Given the state of things with in person live music, I guess I can take my time.

May your your beat be deep, your lottery tickets be winners, and your tinnitus fly away.

Pibroch

Reaction score
18" Bosphorus Master Vintage flat - mine has virtually no character and you can crash the hell out of it quietly! Has an extremely even and polite wash - the opposite of a gongy flat and you can't get an unpleasant overtone or ring no matter what sticks you use.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone: I appreciate all the thoughtful and tested suggestions here.

Multijd, thanks for the Zildjian Uptown and Sabian Garage suggestions as I was unaware of either of these 18” rides. Of these two workable options, the Uptown was quite a bit less than the Garage, so I focused on the Zildjian.
(And thank you Chappy and Soulfinger for answering my specific questions about your experiences.)

I ended up getting an Uptown at about 1660 grams and about $140 less than the Sabian . This type of creature is new for me, and I hope will fill the lower volume niche. So far I’ve only been able to play it in isolation, literally, alone, on my practice pad kit, not a drum in sight. The volume is certainly within the realm I’m looking—or listening—for. Obviously only after using it within a band will we be properly introduced. At that point, maybe sometime in 2021, I’ll give an Uptown Update.

This is my first true “dry” ride, my first unlathed and unbathed piece. For me a commonsense and affordable jumping off point into a whole new category of cymbal. It sure is homely, a broken piece of a lopsided metal golf ball hit upward by a titan, unevenly charred on its re-entry into the atmosphere. The sound, being so different than anything else I own, is intriguing.

(PS: Being that this Uptown was less than I expected to pay, and being that I’m now getting about two weeks to the gallon on gas working remotely during lockdown, saving a bit on commute costs, I bid on a K flat ride auction and won. About 2100 grams. Probably arrives next week, so my original intent to experiment with a small bell ride or a flat ride is coming to fruition on bo, albeit through the dangerous route of buying before hearing.)
7D65CDB0-36A0-4167-B492-664B66DD6DC7.jpeg

Latest posts