header.nohb.html

Seeking handpan advice!

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been bitten by the bug. I’ve seen a bunch online and they sound amazing. And look so fun to play! Any advice on what to get? Anything budget friendly for a starter? I’m open to any info and suggestions!
Thanks in advance!

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one from Meinl. It’s pretty expensive but the quality; sound and build is absolutely top notch. I wouldn’t buy a cheap one without trying first.

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It seems like most of them are pretty pricey! It’s something I’d like to fiddle around on before commuting to buying one

fenrir

Reaction score
Is there anywhere you can try them?

They're incredibly easy to play but unfortunately 'you get what you pay for' really applies. They hold value, so a 'lower quality' one like the Meinl won't be too much of a risk. Things like handpans/hang and sound therapy instruments sell for pretty much new price on Facebook groups. Given that they're one-offs or made in small numbers there's always a seemingly insatiable audience for them.

The cost is about the intense labour in building one well - the tools for making one are specific to making one, so the maker has really invested time and money to even begin trying to create a good instrument.

I'll double down on 'really easy to play' - they are - they sound so beautiful that an infant or monkey could get a good sound.

Masterful percussionists can do incredible things with them for sure, but even after a month with them you'll probably have people enraptured thinking you're incredibly talented!

Another downside is that if you get one, enjoy it and want to incorporate it into performance/composition you'll start to realise you need more than one. (Different scales/modes).

The cheap, made in Indonesia tank drums are the same idea, and probably the most affordable if you insist on a small initial cost but I don't see the point in an experienced musician buying one, as they aren't capable of things like pitchbend and harmonics.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1660766156723.png