seeking Rogers R380 bass drum (Yamaha 1960's)

antiquemusic

Reaction score
IMG_20220622_111558.jpg

I seek late 1960's Rogers R380 bass drum any wrap color incomplete or missing parts considered to complete set of drums to gig out with. I have rack tom and floor tom already in original midnight blue marine pearl. I'm experienced in re-wrapping old drums so I hope to acquire bass drum and re-wrap to match the toms.

There's a R380 bass drum (black wrap with wallpaper on inside of shell) on ebay currently as of June 2022 for $100 + $100shipping ($200 total) that is missing reso bass drum hoop and spurs but otherwise seems complete...but rack tom mount, lugs and t-rods seem rusty and t-rods look somewhat bent. I'm concerned the shell might be warped badly as seller says it was found in basement after sitting 20+ years and in my experience old drums missing front reso hoop for many decades the shells warp badly...for $200 I just don't want to roll the dice....I'd take a chance buying that partial late 1960's R380 bass drum for $100 maybe even $125 total but $200 just is too much especially in that poor condition...the previous owner applied wallpaper on inside of shell on the ebay one could also tear off all the gray paint if removed

Anyhow, anyone here sitting on an old R380 bass drum? I'd consider R360 bass drum same era same lugs also would consider partial R380/360 bass drums without original metal hoops or rack tom mount. I'm patient so if a year or two goes by by the time you're reading this I might still be looking. I actually really love these late 1960's Yamaha shell Rogers R360/380 drums along with the70's and 80's USA BigR and XPK heavy maple shell drums. I have no interest in the 80's R series Taiwan drums though.

hello from Colorado by the way

Last edited:

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a full set that I sold to a music store in Baker Oregon. The owner said he was going to give them to a friend of his. I can't remember the name of the music store, but maybe you could do a search for music stores in Baker and give them a call. ( I don't there are many music stores there!) Maybe the recipient has given up and they're just collecting dust.

antiquemusic

Reaction score
copy that lanebune! thank you! May I ask what you sold them for and how long ago that was?

I found a "Marilyns Music" of Baker, Oregon
screenshot 1.jpg
is this the place I should call?

I know these old R380 drums have been become quite rare in the marketplace last 10 years but they have "the sound" and look that I am looking for. I need something to play out with a church group that visits old folks retirement and hospice care homes. I prefer to keep drums as original as possible and won't be reselling these. My other drum set is a 1962 Ludwig classic orange sparkle 22/13/16 and they are just too valuable to be gigging out in and out of drum cases and vehicles setting up / tearing down etc. I wanted a quality old school birch thick shell set of drums and stumbled across these Rogers R360 16floor tom and 13rack tom and these are absolutely high quality drums in every way, amazed people ever thought they were low end drums. The lugs and rims are typical high quality Rogers and the shells have that Yamaha sound and quality I am looking for.

I have restored loads of old drums in my life and have no problem recovering another bass drum to match the midnight dark blue marine pearl of the toms.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Marilyns Music. That's it. They didn't go up for sale at the store, they were a gift for a woman as I recall. (Maybe Marilyn!) They were the 3rd set I ever had and I still miss them. As you say They were quality built. I sold them maybe 6-7 years ago, but they may just be in the lady's house sitting there. It would be great if you could locate them and get them. Good luck and let me know how it goes if you decide to pursue this.

Lane

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, The owner of the store's name Is Damon and I sold it for 450.00 6 years ago.