Self Lacquered drumsticks?

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone apply lacquer to their sticks? If so, how were the results?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another parafin wax user here when needed. Good grip feel without feeling sticky and makes the hands feel soft afterwards.

J

jaymandude

I recently bought a can of spray shellac and used it on about a dozen pairs. 3 coats. I like it. I used it on some firths and also some bopworks.

Just went outside , held the sticks by the tip, and spun them around until the bottom third was coated. Waited an hour or so and did another coat. Works fine, easier than a foam brush

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Bullseye Gloss Shellac on all my sticks...it adds a very slight "tack" which I like.

I have an old Craftsman lathe set up for sticks (+/- 16") and use it to sand away chafe and ware...then I apply the shellac using cut up pieces of foam rubber. I leave them spinning for a couple of minutes and set them in a rack to dry completely.

Also good for new sticks that come with a dry or raw feel...

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good thought provoking info. Anyone used beeswax instead of paraffin?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly, but I added electrical shrink wrap on a pair of Bill Stewart sticks (fattened them up a little) - as they are just too thin but have a great light feel and tip. I then painted mod podge glow in the dark on the remaining exposed wood to make them cool when I play in the dark......it wore off though!

I would think it would be hard to apply a thin layer of lacquer that won't feel funny or bumpy.....I agree some paraffin or waxy glue stuff for grip should be applied instead.