Sell or keep 20" floor tom?

healthie1

Reaction score
Hi boys!

I have an octaplus Ludwig WMP kit with 18/20" floor toms. It came with 2 16" rack toms; my plan is to turn one into a floor tom.

I don't love the tone I get out of it - still using the pinstripe I bought the kit with 2 years ago; with a ludwig rocker resonant head. It's difficult to reach to, as well, when I do 18/20; and I'm tall.

Would you keep or sell? I think these things are really expensive; what's an estimate? Complete; B/O badge, rivetted wrap.

TCB

Reaction score
HI.
If you do decide to sell the 20 i might be interested..
pm me with some pictures..

thanks
Tim

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
In the late 90s I had a 20" Ludwig B/O suspended tom (really) from about that same era. And not only was it a suspended 20" tom, it was a heavy 6-ply shell. The condition was good overall but with some checking and fading of the lacquer. I paid almost nothing for it at a pawn shop, but it was unwieldy to say the least, and it didn't sound great. So I gave it to my nephew who ended up selling it on eBay for $500. That would have been around 2001 or so.

That was one weird drum. But there's a 60s Ludwig 20" floor tom on Reverb for $950 right now. It matches my '68 Super Classic kit and would be a blast to play, but I don't have the space or the money for something that's really just a novelty.

I'd sell it if I were you. You can probably get $750 or more for it, imo.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It sounds cool, and if you’re on the fence you’ll likely never get another for reasonable money so keep it unless you are certain you’ll never want it. If it was BDP instead of WMP I would be recommending you sell it and sending an offer. I know 20” heads aren’t the cheapest to experiment with but try a two ply or black dot resonant head. It helps on my 18” with tuning difficulties with some batter heads

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No one really carries a 20" floor tom around. But you can do other things with it also. You can convert it pretty easily into a Bass Drum or into a gong bass drum on a stand, though the latter will take different lugs, hoop and head size and a stand. I converted an 18 x 16 Luddy floor into a bass drum many years ago and had the retractable spurs put on and the other holes plugged with maple dowels and it was pretty inexpensive. I bought a riser for it and used to take that bass drum out to gigs alot. You slap a PS3 head on it & you don't even need muffling inside the drum. It was very balanced in playing rock or jazz or club date. Just a thought.

Commodore

Reaction score
Keep it!
I'm currently looking at buying a 22" floor tom that matches my set...
And use it to mount a pair of 14" and 16" concert toms.

YMMV

Kenwood

Reaction score
That 20" floor tom is the only shell I still need
Have been gathering shells to do a Ian Paice "Made in Japan" tribute kit
I have the 26" bass drum a 16" to cut down for the ride tom
and a nice 18" floor tom
I have an extra 16" Mahogany floor tom shell also

As bad as I need one, no way I could ever shell out big dough for one.
as the cost to wrap everything in silver sparkle will be considerable
most likely will settle for 16" 18" rather 18"20" on the floor
6uRTXdGbGJW5uZtYMVJUt5.jpg

Last edited:

healthie1

Reaction score
That 20" floor tom is the only shell I still need
Have been gathering shells to do a Ian Paice "Made in Japan" tribute kit
I have the 26" bass drum a 16" to cut down for the ride tom
and a nice 18" floor tom
I have an extra 16" Mahogany floor tom shell also

As bad as I need one, no way I could ever shell out big dough for one.
as the cost to wrap everything in silver sparkle will be considerable
most likely will settle for 16" 18" rather 18"20" on the floor View attachment 517546
This is sick. Maybe I'll do this. that splash is so low! I love Ian Paice.