Sell Slingerland to buy Renown ?

bcrain

Reaction score
I have both Slingerland a '74 3 ply ( gloss white-pic in my profile) and a Gretsch Cat Club Orange sating flame with both a 22 and 18 kick/ 12/ 16. I am thinking of unloading the Slingerland and Cat Club to but the Sweetwater special edition Renown with a 22/12/14/16 set up.
Would you? Why or why not? Looking for your thoughts.

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not do that planned deal . Keep what you have .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the other side to this is.... If you're tired of your old sets...and you know them (and their maybe faults)
Do what you gotta do..crack that whip go forward move ahead (Devo reference..
Only you know you.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you're getting into big money then (if planned on adding..)
But still: You know You best

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
A thousand times yes.

In an imperfect world where you can't have it all and have to pick one or the other, I'd pick the Renown every time. It's far superior to what you have. Sure, you may come to regret selling the old Slingerland, or maybe you won't.

But in the meantime you'll have the best kit $1600 can buy.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It's really up to you. The Catalinas have never excited me, but I love 3 ply Slingerland drums. So if you feel like the Renown set will trip your trigger and make you enjoy playing more, then do it. If you think you'll miss the Slingerlands then maybe figure out a way to get rid of just the Catalinas.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Gretsch guy.

But I'm also a Slingerland guy...

If you were looking to move into a set of Gretsch USA Customs, Broadcasters, or Brooklyns, I might say yes.

That is a particularly sweet set of Slingerlands, I think that you would regret that sale down the road.

I agree with lossforgain. If you can figure out how to do it by just moving the Catalinas, I would. Selling those Slingerlands will haunt you.

Full disclosure, I own a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank and two sets of vintage Slingerlands. I've owned at least one set of Slingerland drums almost my entire drumming career. (And I was miserable when I didn't.)

bcrain

Reaction score
I'm a Gretsch guy.

But I'm also a Slingerland guy...

If you were looking to move into a set of Gretsch USA Customs, Broadcasters, or Brooklyns, I might say yes.

That is a particularly sweet set of Slingerlands, I think that you would regret that sale down the road.

I agree with lossforgain. If you can figure out how to do it by just moving the Catalinas, I would. Selling those Slingerlands will haunt you.

Full disclosure, I own a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank and two sets of vintage Slingerlands. I've owned at least one set of Slingerland drums almost my entire drumming career. (And I was miserable when I didn't.)
Thanks for your feedback- it makes a lot of sense.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the Slingerland, sell the old Gretsch and buy the new Gretsch! That's what I'd do but each person has individual reasons for whatever they do. In the end, do whatever makes you happy.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For as much as I love the Renowns -- and they are my daily driver -- I personally would not sell something uncommon/ special for something common. You can always pick up a set of Renowns.

But as JDA pointed, perhaps it has flaws (quirks) that you no longer want to deal with. In that case it makes sense to me. In the end you only need to please yourself.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
I'd make a list of the pros and cons of each set and also what you want (e.g. one set with an 18" bass drum / one set for gigs that you don't care about as much).

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sell the Catalina's and wait for "little used" Renown to show up. And eventually it will.....priced a lot less than new.
There are just too many nice vintage and modern kits popping up (fully outfitted with cymbals and hardware) in that $1200-$1600 range. Wait for the Gretsch of your dreams.

Last edited:

healthie1

Reaction score
I'm a vintage guy and a 1-up, 2-down, big bass drum guy - I'm guessing your slingerlands are 13/16/18/24? that configuration by slingerland in that era is such a sweet set of drums, and frankly slingerland doesn't have the same fan-fare of vintage ludwigs in big sizes, that I don't think the market would give you a sufficient amount of money to make it worthwhile. If it were me, I'd want $1200 Canadian all day for those sizes, no other hardware/snare; maybe $1500.

On the other hand, I have seen guys love more modern kits over the vintage stuff - set up is easier, the sound might be more desire, finish, etc.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thousand times yes.

In an imperfect world where you can't have it all and have to pick one or the other, I'd pick the Renown every time. It's far superior to what you have. Sure, you may come to regret selling the old Slingerland, or maybe you won't.
Let me put it this way:

Decades ago, I swore off selling my 90's Yamaha Maple Custom. It was the best kit I'd ever played, looked better than anything I'd had and the quality level is off the charts. Nothing else I've had can touch the build quality of the Yamaha to this day.

Then last Summer and Fall, my Renown kit entered the picture. It might not be on the same build quality level (only due to some rough tension rods and one scuffed tom hoop that was chromed after being scuffed) as the Yamaha, but the sound is very close to the ideal that I have in my head. Frankly, it's better than the kit that I was going to keep forever.

No other kit that I've owned and played would make me think about letting that kit go until now.