Selling a friend's collection....

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
A long time friend calls me and said, "I'm getting rid of all of my stuff. Had it. I'm done." After a long conversation, I picked up his stuff and am now going to sell it for him. No idea how to price any of this, lots of custom made drums. Drums I helped him build years ago. His initial thoughts were WAY over priced, which I expected. Of course I will do the research, eBay sold listings, etc.

Some of the stuff...

'89 Ludwig 6 ply COW double bass kit w/ 2 16x26" virgin kicks, 18 & 16 floors, 10 x 14, 8 x 12 & 8 x 10 rack toms on orig RIMS

Custom Ash segmented kit 14 x 24 kick, 16 floor, 10 x 14 & 8 x 12 toms on orig RIMS w/ matching snare

7 or 8, maybe 10 snares

Large double bass Gibralter rack powder coated in purple chrome/smoke

Single bass Gibralter chrome rack

I hate to break up the COW kit, but realize it will probably sell easier.

Shipping will suck. Pics to come...

Thoughts? Flame away...

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Think about using Greyhound Bus Service. It is 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of UPS and FedEx and much safer. The key is to box everything up, measure the boxes, weigh the boxes and buy the shipping online. You then deliver to your local Greyhound Bus Depot, they will remeasure to double check your work and off you go. The receiver must pick up at their local Greyhound, but it is much safer and crazy cheap. Those 26" bass drums will be $250 each via UPS or FedEx! Go Greyhound!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to comment what a great supportive friend you are to help him out.

As I am sure you are aware, this forum has some real helpful people on it that can help with pricing ..... and like anything, items are worth what anyone will pay for them.

Wishing you the best in moving these items on to new homes .....

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about using Greyhound Bus Service. It is 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of UPS and FedEx and much safer. The key is to box everything up, measure the boxes, weigh the boxes and buy the shipping online. You then deliver to your local Greyhound Bus Depot, they will remeasure to double check your work and off you go. The receiver must pick up at their local Greyhound, but it is much safer and crazy cheap. Those 26" bass drums will be $250 each via UPS or FedEx! Go Greyhound!
A little OT, but I want to say that this is really helpful info, Bob, and I appreciate your insight and experience with it. I am recommending Greyhound shipping to friends and will keep it in mind for myself. Thanks!