Selling actual drums to pay for...software drums?!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm selling some of my actual, tangible, physical, acoustic drums and cymbals, to pay for virtual, software drum plug-ins. I live in a condo so I can't play my any of my kits indoors, all of my bands are on hiatus, no gigs, no actual studio recording.

Figured I might as well invest in some of these drum VSTs and get some new sounds for my DTX kit. Might inspire me to play more.

Look, it feels really awkward for me to do this. Have any of you swapped out your acoustic drums for electronic stuff? Am I going to regret this?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You should definitely try one of these free/trial versions before making your decision. I downloaded and played around with a trial program from Toontrack. The sounds were really good but I had significant latency issues. I probably could've resolved this with a better laptop but that would've been at a significant additional cost. I would've really regretted selling my acoustic kit if I discovered this after the fact.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buy what works for you now. If it means you are going to want to play again, then do it. Years ago I traded in a 10 piece Tama Imperialstar kit, along with a set of cymbals, for my first e-kit. It got me playing again.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a e-kit because I was going to pack up my only kit at the time (20+ yrs ago) as I lived in an apt. complex and could not play "real" drums. The e-kit was very cool and I still have it (Yamaha DTXpress II), but the sound and feel of the kit just didn't do it for me.....I had to have the nuance of a live kit....

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a e-kit because I was going to pack up my only kit at the time (20+ yrs ago) as I lived in an apt. complex and could not play "real" drums. The e-kit was very cool and I still have it (Yamaha DTXpress II), but the sound and feel of the kit just didn't do it for me.....I had to have the nuance of a live kit....
Oh yeah. I love my DTX, but there's nothing like the real thing. I'm selling a few drums, but I'll be keeping most of my kits, so I'm not giving up on acoustic kits at all. It's just a weird feeling to be selling real kits for software!

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I love my DTX, but there's nothing like the real thing. I'm selling a few drums, but I'll be keeping most of my kits, so I'm not giving up on acoustic kits at all. It's just a weird feeling to be selling real kits for software!
Yeah that'd be a hard trade off for me to do.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm selling some of my actual, tangible, physical, acoustic drums and cymbals, to pay for virtual, software drum plug-ins. I live in a condo so I can't play my any of my kits indoors, all of my bands are on hiatus, no gigs, no actual studio recording.

Figured I might as well invest in some of these drum VSTs and get some new sounds for my DTX kit. Might inspire me to play more.

Look, it feels really awkward for me to do this. Have any of you swapped out your acoustic drums for electronic stuff? Am I going to regret this?
I just thought of this. But what if you just got some mesh heads and the zildjian L80 cymbals. That way you can still play on an acoustic set up just as lower volumes. Might be a better trade off.